Monday, March 30, 2009

2009 World Figure Skating Championships - Ice Dancing


Virtue and Moir

The 2009 World Figure Skating Championships were last week. It was an interesting event, the last big showdown in the figure skating world before next year's Winter Olympics.

Of the four figure skating disciplines, I was most excited about the ice dancing. There are some great competitors in the field and of course my favorite couple (Candians, Virtue and Moir). Last year the French (Delobel and Schonfielder) won the competition, with my Candians (V & M) second and the Russians third.

Right before this competition, the French pulled out (the girl had gotten a major injury). As soon as I heard this I knew the Russians were going to be given the gold, and I mean given, not win. How did I know this, because this season the Candians have not been doing well and that meant that from last year's podium the only one's left were the Russians, even though last year's podium should not factor into this year's results, particularly considering the Americans this year were doing brilliantly. But it doesn't matter what the Russians do, they could just skate around the rink in circles, the Russians always win.

Having just finished watching the competition I was right, the Russians were given the gold, even though the Americans, Belbin and Agosto were MUCH BETTER! The Russians were slower, not as difficult and not as imaginative vs. the Americans but it did not concern the pre-ordained order. See this is the problem with ice dancing, the judging is not done fairly! the ISU, the governing body of the figure skating world, says they have cleaned up judging scandals, but I don't believe it!

I'm predicting it now, (you see it here first in this post) that at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, the Russians will win the gold (even if they fall on their ass and just sit around and do nothing!), with Belbin and Agosto (USA), Virtue and Moir (Canada) and Delobel and Schonfielder (France) fighting for silver and bronze. It is so unfair! I simply do not understand this unmerited Russian dominance! I think Belbin and Agosto should fight the results of this year's competition - though I know they won't. They had the better, harder, more technical program.

Read it all here -
http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-spw-skate-ice-dance28-2009mar29,0,5614376.story?track=rss

2 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

You've talked about how much you like the ice stuff before, glad that you were able to see it again.
Should I put down money now?

11:27 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - yeah go ahead and put that money down, its almost a given the Russians are going to win next year.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home