Sunday, March 15, 2009

Jake Davis

A good friend of mine passed away on Friday.

Jake Davis and I met through the Coles Democratic Committee. An older gentleman, when I first saw him, I though, 'oh boy some good ol'e boy Southern guy.' Jake had a thick West Virginia accent.

But Jake was the exact opposite of the Southern boy stereotype, he was a perfect gentleman with a great sense of humor. He always made me smile, with silly jokes and jabs at our Republican opponents. Plus he always treated me to sweet compliments, like "well hello pretty lady," or "I know you can do graduate school, you are so smart."

Jake was a medium size guy, kinda nerdy looking with slicked back hair and glasses. His wife Sally is gorgeous, so just goes to show you that nice guys do finish first when it comes to winning the pretty girl's hand.

One of my fondest memories of Jake was at a monthly Coles Committee meeting. As a group we were talking about the latest Republican tactic for the upcoming election (this was after the landslide in 2004 using gay marriage). For 2005, for the location elections, it was illegal aliens. All the local Republican candidates were pushing for stricter labor laws, punitive for the illegal aliens, letting the businesses get off scot free. Jake stood up in our committee meeting and made an impassioned plea for these illegal aliens and how they worked hard and this was just a tactic by the Republicans to put fear in locals.

Jake was always fighting for the little guy, the underdog, that is what I loved about him. I am proud to have been considered one of his friends. I was so sad to hear of his sudden passing - he will be missed.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stereotypes are funny, aren't they? Sometimes when you upt them aside and get to know someone, you find a gem. Jack sounds like one of those.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake. Too early in the morning for me, obviously!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

so sorry to hear about your friend. :(

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry to hear about your friend, Jake. Perhaps you will carry on Jake's tradition of fighting for the underdog?

10:01 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm sorry to hear that your friend Jake passed. (((hugs)))

8:29 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

sorry & condolences & huggs!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Citizen - you are right, Jake was a gem.

Molly - thank you.

Trisha - I hope so, that would be a great legacy, no?

Brenda - thank you.

Mommantor - thank you.

11:06 AM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

I'm so sorry to hear! He sounds like a wonderful guy. My sympathies.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home