Monday, September 06, 2010

Car Registrations


Co-worker of mine, at the retail operation, applied for a job with a Lego Store in another Arizona mall. She was talking to me about the upcoming interview (everyone knows she is looking for another job because she is not getting enough hours at this one). Her talk of the store brought up my fond memories of living in Denmark and the amazing trip the school took us exchange students on (strictly voluntary), to Legoland Billund. Lego's are a Danish creation. I didn't think I would have so much fun on that trip, since Legoland is geared for little ones, but goodness, it was so much fun, so many amazing Lego exhibits, you could spend hours on each one. Just another fabulous memory in my Danish treasure chest.

The month of fasting is coming to an end. I haven't been as focused on it this year, as I am excused from fasting (pregnancy). Today is an especially special day in the holy month, Laylat al-Qadr, the night we Muslims believe the holy book, the Quran, was first revealed to Prophet Mohammad (PBUH). We are suppose to spend the evening in prayer. It is rather strange celebrating this time in Arizona, rather alone and separated from family, though I am trying to stay spiritually connected, since location should not affect one's level of faith, no?

This special night also, for some reason, has me missing my grandfather, my Nana, very much. I make this exception because anyone who knew my Nana knew he was not very fond of Islam, despite being a Muslim himself. Yet, today, I wish very much I could pick up my cell phone and call him and hear him talk to me, making fun of the days politics, asking how I am, telling me how he is, maybe giving me some gossip from Indian family members. Physical reminders of him are around, we have his two used cars, neither of which have cherished number plates, but still exude of him. Yet, its his voice that rings in my head, maybe that is why I so wish I could talk to him - to hear the voice that echos in my head, be in person. I miss you Nana.

For this special night, I send this Ramadan blessing to all - May God's blessings shine upon you, your friends, family and dear ones.

5 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

Maybe you can go back to Legoland with your child some day?

4:05 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

legoland-unbelievable how popular this is! Ya know Disney now has a lego store that has all kinds of lego displays! very interesting. What ever happened to kids getting outside to play and use their imagination. My grandkids use their imaginations with the legos, they build stuff and we then are to guess what it is! they dont have any of those kits to make

I hear you about missing your granddad. All I can say you have to have fond memories, so cling onto them so you can carry on with your child!

8:40 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Perhaps one day you might graduate to one of those number plates.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I found myself missing my mom today. She is still with us, and she's happy, which are the important things. But she's pretty mixed up most of the time, so you can't have a real conversation with her anymore. I'd love to go back in time and spend a day at the mall with her, shopping and having lunch together. I guess the fact that we miss them means that we were lucky to have them.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - brilliant idea!

Mommantor - I shall definitely pass on those lovely memories, and I agree more creativity needed in children play!

Joe - ha ha : )

Merci - what a lovely thought and I shall hold dear, that we miss them definitely means we were lucky to have them : )

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home