Saturday, June 25, 2011

New Job

Two days into the new job and I'm off mixed emotions. I love the job (back with non-descript airlines, in HR, if you can believe it?!).

However, I am very much missing baby while at work. I think I am having more separation anxiety than her! Part of the big problem is that she is not getting enough nap time. See at home she sleeps on her stomach but that is not American Pediatric Association approved. The daycare will only put her on her back. Doctors are now recommending on the back to reduce SIDS. But when we brought baby home she was having a lot of problems burping, with her stomach, so I would have her sleep on my me (on her stomach) and we just kept up that position even when she is in cradle. This has created the problem that at daycare she is not napping. She gets home and is so tired that she conks right out, leaving me with like an hour of playtime with her. I feel like I'm missing out on everything!!!

I think I'll give it a few more weeks, if things don't improve than I'll have to seriously re-consider the job - because she is the most important thing to me and I don't want to have any regrets where she is concerned.

5 Comments:

Blogger Coffin Moth said...

I would encourage you to seek out a different daycare first. My wife wanted me to tell you that the facilities we removed our children from (two facilities on two separate occasions) were Daycare Centers.

We were much happier when we found someone who ran an in-home Daycare that we felt our kids were safe at. The personal touch was very important. Like I mentioned before, she's joining us on a family outing.

Perhaps you would alleviate some concern if you spent some time reviewing other options. When we feel torn between two polar-extremes, the stress is compounded. With a spectrum of options to choose from, you may feel more in control and able to relax.

You will certainly be able to find a Daycare that will respect your requests for nap-time if you keep looking. That is a hallmark of the big "Center" style Daycare: its adherence to policy over individualized care.

Hope you find a solution that works for you. You may very well find it better for your family that you stay home, but don't let poor service make that decision for you. Be a good advocate for you and your baby and you'll feel better about whatever decision you reach. Good Luck.

Aside from your healthy concerns for your baby's well-being, do you have any other reasons you want to be at home?

3:27 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Good luck

2:50 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The Reverse Dad has the right idea. 2 of my children were the same, didn't sleep when on their backs. I solved the problem by placing a hard pillow in their cradles for them to snooze on. Nothing soft for them to get their faces into.

11:32 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

On the positive side, SIDS is a huge problem so you have to at least given the place credit for trying to follow safety guidelines.

I think you can't generalize about which is better - an in-home place or a daycare. I've seen very good and very bad examples of both. But, if it's not working after you've given the baby a little time to adjust, there are always other places to try.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Reverse Dad - thank you, definitely have given me some great suggestions!

Joe - thank you!

Brenda - oh neat idea!

Secret Agent - that is true, they are reducing her SIDS risk. And yes if it doesn't work out, I'll give something else a try.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home