Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Airline fees

Good news came out today about the airline passenger rights bill! The one element in the bill that I was supremely happy to see was the caveat that if the airlines lose your luggage they have to refund you the baggage fee! I am happy for this rule because it will hopefully prompt airlines to do a better job with not losing suitcases. As a customer service agent, the worst thing in the world was a lost bag; unhappy customers, no idea where bag is, constant work. Fingers crossed, this works to improve service in the world of airline bags!

I attend this Muslim woman's group on Wednesday mornings (kinda like Bible study). It is nice but I am having a hard time making friends there. Everyone is friendly enough but its clear I am the outsider (everyone in the group is from India, I am the only American). To some extent I think language is an issue, but is it also a cultural thing? We can't relate as well? I genuinely feel like the nerd, take today for example - after group discussion we eat a snack. I sat at the table with baby in my lap while the other ladies all sat in the living room chatting. And its not a child issue as all the other ladies have little ones as well (which is why we meet on a Wednesday morning, all stay at home mommies). I still like to go to learn more about Islam but it would be nice to be friends with these ladies beyond the polite, "hello's." Any suggestions or thoughts?

5 Comments:

Blogger Merci said...

Do you understand and/or speak a little of the language they speak? If so, you could ask them to help you to improve your knowledge and use of the language. If not, and if they spend the social portion of the morning speaking only in that tongue, it might be difficult to break through. You can try to join the group and start some conversation in English. Hopefully they'll respond. People generally love to give advice, so asking a question to get them started might help. Something like, "Where can I go to get a good price on quality carpeting?"

It might be a habit for them to break into a language that you do not speak, but it would be polite for them to revert to English when you are present. Is this as much an expats group for them as it is a mommies group?

12:40 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

It would be better if they didn't lose the bag to begin with.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Hina said...

your comment about eating by yourself makes me want to hug my charmander.

3:35 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Did you not feel comfortable joining them in the living room? I don't have any advice, but I do think asking questions might be a way to engage them.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Merci - thank you for the suggestion.

Joe - you are funny : )

Hina - it is sad.

Secret Agent - hmm...joining in the living room...I'll have to think on it.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home