Monday, May 11, 2015

Sarajevo Times

I've decided to take on a new writing gig - I hope temporarily; as copy editor to the Sarajevo Times. The Sarajevo Times is the English only newspaper here in Sarajevo. It actually is only published online, no hard copies. The stories range from economic issues to top 10 restaurant lists.

I have been reading the Sarajevo Times since my arrival in May 2013. It lets me learn about what is going on the city I call home (as my Bosnian is pretty crappy and trying to read in the local language is sure to be a minefield of mistaken interpretations). I like most of the articles but I have noticed they tend to have very obvious English grammar mistakes; things that can easily be fixed by a native English speaker.

After 2 years, I decided to email the newspaper and ask if I could help out, doing it pro bono. They accepted! My co-workers say I am crazy to be taking on this job but the articles are small and they only send me one a day. It is relatively easy to edit, the errors are quite apparent upon first read. Actually editing these articles for proper English would be great practice for anyone getting ready for the SAT's or AP English exam.

2 Comments:

Blogger Secret Agent Woman said...

Good for you - that actually sounds interesting to me.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

It is - and very easy :)

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home