Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Pearl Harbor Day

December 7th is the day Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, back in 1941. The next day, America entered WWII. For some reason I always remember this day. In college I mentioned this fact to our mailman, an older guy, graying hair and glasses. He looked up and smiled at me, "I"m glad someone from your generation remembers." A light went off in my head.
"Thank you," I replied back. He just smiled with understanding and shuffled off to sort some more mail. Brightening someone else's day (hopefully), made my own. God bless everyone out there who is working to make this world a safer and better place. So hopefully in the future we won't have to remember war dates.

From Laurie I have been tagged to write ten unusual things about myself, things you might not know or think about me....I've been mulling it over and here is my list:
1. My official New Kids On The Block fan club picture still hangs in my bedroom in a frame.
2. I swear like a sailor when provoked.
3. I've never seen "Its a Wonderful Life" or "The Godfather."
4. I haven't told my secret crush that I'm divorced.
5. I use to be a cheerleader in middle school.
6. I hate sharing my pens on the plane (cause I don't get them back!)
7. I go to Barnes and Noble to see what are the new books and write them down on a list and than I head to the library and check them out.
8. I once voted Republican (hanging head in shame), it was for a local election!
9. I subscribe to International Figure Skating magazine.
10. If I can't finish everything on my plate when I go out to eat, I take a doggy bag, even if it is for three fries :)

ok, now I'm suppose to tag five people...but I hate choosing five people - so instead I will leave it open. If you would like to do this, please do, if not I shall not be overly offended.

10 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I love reading stuff like this. You learn lots about a person.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

VG:

First, thanks for the lovely comment today . . . I knew that you would understand! I think that's what compelled me to write it . . .

Secondly, Pearl Harbor Day has always stuck in my head, just because . . . it's hard to explain, but I remember hearing a replay of the (I guess) Roosevelt speech from that day and it is seared into my brain. It is also the birthday of one of my best friends, who was born exactly 18 years later from the oricinal event.

I get doggie bags too, even when I have no intention of eating the leftovers, just because I feel like such a wastrel if I don't. Luckily, I can always count on Mr. Random to suck down whatever I bring home . . . either that or I throw it out in the trash can in the parking lot . . .

11:09 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Either I'm getting old and my stomach is shrinking (well, the inside bit definitely not the outside more than bit) or portions are getting bigger, I almost always take home a fair bit of a meal out.
We tried a new place - the 'Hash House a-go-go' last week. The plates are hugh (more like platters, ours was about 24" across and 12" wide), portions even bigger, but then they have the nerve to charge $5 if you share!

3:18 PM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

OK, girlfriend--especially given your mood of late, it's time to bust out "It's a Wonderful Life."

Now!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Maidy said...

1) Goober
2) So do I but you'd never know form our blogs ;)
3) WHAT!?!?? Like Belinda said, rent "Wonderful Life" will ya?
4) You think he'll have a hang up about it?
5) Oh that's too much :LOL:
6) I hate sharing pens period
7) That's not a bad thing ... that's smart.
8) That's okay. I once voted Democrat in the PA Governor election.
9) You're kidding
10) Now I know you're nuts. :)

Cute list. Now go rent Godfather (you might have a difficult time getting a Wonderful Life this time of year).

4:32 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

"It's a Wonderful Life" is such a good movie.

Get it.

That's an order, missy!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - thanks - I hope you're not learning anything too weird, hee hee.
Random Kath - How weird is that?! One of my close friends also has a birthday on Dec 7th. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who takes tiny doggy bags, most of the time my dad or sister has to eat the leftovers when we get home.
Joe - that is a good question, are portions getting bigger? Good grief, as if we Americans really need bigger portions, no?
Belinda - good suggestion, I should check out the TV guide, I'm sure someone is running it this season : )
Maidink - oh I'm so glad to see that I'm not a freak for hating to share pens. People give you dirty looks if you say "I don't have one." As if they know you are lying. Rent the Godfather, you're right, probably will be easy peasy to get right now.
Tony - Aye, aye sir! :)
Laurie - aha! So I'm not the only one who hasn't sen those movies, it seems like everyone has. And its ok if you voted Repub in past elections, just no more of that going forward : )

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» »

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Coffee expresso maker lowering cholesterol with herbs http://www.baseball0.info/baseball-betting.html Plastic surgeons and jackson ms Car gps systems at shopping.com find Internet service providers for 13815 zip code area Vardenafil generic seyvitra

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home