Monday, December 19, 2005

Nutcracker

This weekend, I went to see the ballet, The Nutcracker. It was part of my side job as an art critic for a local paper. This was the fifth year in a row, I had to schlep out to see this production. I love the ballet (having studied/danced it for 14 years) but good Lord, how many times can I see the same show, from the same company, which puts in the same quirks and often times the same choreography?! I'm starting to get Nutcracker'ed out! Besides which, this is a local dance company and the audience is full people who are related to the dancers on stage. Anytime I dare to critize anything about any of the shows, I got reams of nasty letters. so I have to put on a happy face even when I feel like screaming out at the stage "get a move on!" It is a tough rope I walk in this situation indeed!

Things I like about the Nutcracker:
Sugarplum Fairy Suite (if done right, so often this lovely piece of music is butchered with crappy choreography)
Snowflake and Waltz of Flowers scenes - again, if done right, looks gorgeous. All the girls need to be in unison and the choreography should be lite and flowing, lots of easy jumps and spins that cover the stage or make big circles, nothing too complicated.
Beautiful costumes and pretty girls with graceful arches in their pointe shoes - always a joy to watch ballet danced right!

Things I don't like about the Nutcracker:
Mouse/Nutcracker fight scene - boring!!
Smary kids - oh God stop forcing them on us poor audience members - you crazy stage moms! You're kid hamming it up is not cute for the classical Nutcracker.

Side note - went to see HP and Goblet of Fire at IMAX this weekend - best way to see an action film! Even though I still don't love this movie, I wasn't as annoyed by the mistakes and bad acting. If you haven't been, try to see one film at an IMAX theater, put it down as one of those things you should do before you die.

7 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

You danced?
At least your side job gets you into see some 'culture'. Did you get free tickets to review Harry too?

10:36 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Jeez so in your free time you are Lois Lane?

Did you see the Simpson’s this week? They did a whole 'Nutcracker' bit in the last ten minutes of the episode - brilliant!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Do you ever want to go up there and show them how it's done? Now THAT would bring in some letters!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

I have seen the "Nutcracker." Her name is Anne.

:-)

9:13 PM  
Blogger Maidy said...

Okay, I did have visit the ruins of Great Britain on my list.

*scratch* *scratch*

... see HP and the GOF in IMAX ...

Right ... got it!

5:05 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - I wish I got some free tickets, that would have been great! Yup, yup I danced ballet for 14 years - stopped when I hit college.
Laurie - oh you should definitely see the Nutcracker - try to take in a performance with a live orchestra, it makes a great difference!
Pax - goodness, I missed that Simpsons episode, hopefully they will show it again - that's funny you calling me Lois Lane, cause I call the guy I like Superman, (cue the eery music).
Merci - oh my yes, if I went up there - letters for my resignation would pour in, hee hee.
Tony - ha ha : ) (who's anne?).
Maidink - We have to get you going on this list, it is ever growing :) Perhaps your whole family can go to the UK this summer, I'm sure Dinks would love it!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Melas said...

I know I'm a little late in commenting on your Nutcracker dilemma, but give a guy a break. I've reviewed lots of shows that I hated and gotten all kinds of nasty letters. I've been threatened with death so many times I no longer think of it as being something to worry about. Write what you feel. Your job as a critic is to criticize, to inform the reader the goods and bads of a production, a film, a book. You have an implied contract with your reader to tell the truth. If you think the rendition was garbage, say so. Let the company improve its scenery, costuming and choreography rather than ripping off the public with the same schlock year after year.

On a side note, I saw the opera Magic Flute in Chicago a few weeks ago. I've decided I like ballet and opera just about the same. I guess I'm just not cultured enough to get why it's so important that I see it. I mean I like the music without seeing it performed. Kind of like Willy Shake. I love most of his stuff even though I've never seen it performed.

On the other side note, I think that Virginia Gal is about the coolest person I know on the web.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home