Monday, May 08, 2006

Angels on Earth

I left out one weird/interesting fact about myself from last week's list. I wasn't sure if I wanted to share, but then I saw something on Friday that seemed a sign from God, as if to say, "yes, share it."

I was walking out of the mall, after making a quick dash in to grab something from the Disney Store (they were having a huge sale) and noticed, sitting on the bench right outside was a man with down syndrome and his older father. I got teary-eyed immediately. This is my weird fact, whenever I see mentally retarded people, I either cry or get teary. I want to go up and hug them - protect them from the evils of the world, a world which they seem so innocently oblivious too.

Perhaps it is also that I feel we share a similar experience. Growing up as a gawky, ugly Indian kid, I was teased unmercilessly. People can be so cruel and I have dealth with a lot of crap, but than to see people mock and make fun of the mentally retarded, is beyond indecent. How can you do that?! It is one thing to make fun of me, I can fight back, but these poor people, they don't get your stupid sarcasm and your scorn, they think you are being friendly or nice. Stop it! Just thinking about it makes me choke up.

I firmly believe those with Down Syndrome and mental retardation are angels God has put on earth. In Islam there are no "bad" angels, all are God's servants, they see the good in life, the grace of God in everything.

A distant uncle of mine in India had Down Syndrome, he visited America when I was a baby. My mother says that he treated me with such care, I never had a better baby-sitter. One day my mother came into my roomt to find he had rearranged all the clothes in my baby bureau, just trying to be helpful, God bless him. He died a few years back and I firmly believe he lives in eternal happiness with all the other angels.

10 Comments:

Blogger Pax Romano said...

VG,

I work with the disabled population, and this includes people with Down syndrome; many people like to think of those with Downs as "special" or "angelic" and that's fine.

However, I think it's important to remember that a person with Down syndrome is, first and foremost, a fellow human being with all of the same hopes and desires of other people - therefore, they deserve to be treated with the same respect and dignity as other humans. They are not "children trapped in adult's body" or any of that kind of nonsense.

I totally understand why you view them as angels – and if that’s your way of dealing, that is cool. But I really want you to understand that they are simply human beings with extra genetic material (genes) from the 21st chromosome.

Treat them with the respect that they deserve and not like a fool or a child, and then you are the angel!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Pax - yes I suppose it is a bit patronizing to consider them "angels." I certainly don't talk down to them (oh that is another thing that boils my blood, they are not imbeciles, sheesh).

I guess what bothers me is when people mock them, I don't know, I just don't feel like its a fair fight and it makes me cry.

I hope I didn't offend you with this post, I was hesitate to write about it, when it comes to this subject (as well as many others) I'm not always politically correct.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

VG,

Not at all!!!

I saw your point very clearly.

Your uncle sounds like he was a great guy!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Awww. That post is absolutely beautiful.

You're so great.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Virginia Gal-

I share some experience with Pax in this area. Don't worry about the PC thing. You didn't say anything wrong. Cruelty is always to be despised, and it is healthy to want to protect those who might not be able to protect themselves.

I remember feeling this way about folks with Down Syndrome at one time, probably because Dale Evans Rogers (wife of Roy Rogers) wrote a book about her child with Down Syndrome called Angel Unaware. I read the book, and I had a romanticized view until I began to work in the field.

Folks with developmental disabilities display the same range of behavior as the rest of us, from saintly to criminal. You have to get to know each individual to know who is trustworthy.

And no hugging strangers, OK???

8:45 PM  
Blogger NM said...

aww that is a touching story!

That makes me sad that kids would tease you. I would never tease you, I promise to that!

Its okay if you wanted to cry, I probably would have!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Pax & Merci - God rest his soul, my uncle was a very kind heart. I appreciate both of you guys being so patient and teaching me, I learn from you and Merci. You guys work in the field, you know the reality from the romantized view. With a very kind hand you guys are educating me to this subject - I'm blessed to be in such a good blog family. And no, no huggie strangers, I think they put you in jail for that : )

Tony - oh thanks, I'm glad someone thinks I'm great unlike all those loser Indian guys (I'm bitter this morning).

Naema - I appreciate that you wouldn't tease me, I figure not - you're a kind heart.

9:00 AM  
Blogger chick pea said...

dear virginia gal:

i was also geeky, gawky...and am indian as well..so can relate.. we come to become comfortable in our skin as we grow...and i think that geeky period is a blessing because we appreciate people for who they are..and are more aware of the superficial bullsh*t...

on terms of MR... there is this amazing book called 'raising adam'... a must read... a beautiful story of a harvard educated couple who had a kid with MR...fascinating...

my heart is soft for those with MR..my parents used to throw the kids who lived in a home for those with mental disabilities a christmas party every year (my dad was their pediatrician)..and i learned to treat them as a normal human being...

they are gods gift and angels.. i agree.. their innocence, and utter joy is a wonderful to see...it's pure.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Chick pea - Welcome! you are so right about going through a geeky gawky period, I do think this has made me appreciate people for who they are instead of superficial reasons. It is funny how I can no longer stand people liking others just for silly reasons, like looks or being "cool," as an adult it seems so stupid.
I will have to check out this book you recommend - that was so kind of your father to host a party for his patients...gosh all my pediatrican did was give me a lollipop, : )

11:17 AM  
Blogger chick pea said...

i'm glad i've dropped by.. thanks for dropping by my blog as well :)...

my dad and mom are amazing souls.. good people as they say...every year we'd throw a xmas party for the kids with MR and invite the other physicians in the buildling, etc.. with gifts, and such galore.. they loved it.. we have fond memories of these people... and some i keep in touch with till today...

raising adam is a pleasure to read.. a patient recommended it to me while i was a medical student..

:)

enjoy!

the bean

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home