Friday, May 05, 2006

Darfur situation

Happy Cinco de Mayo - before I start my post, thought I'd include a little laugh. One should always laugh on Fridays!

I was watching ER last night, where, for the past three weeks they have been running a Darfur storyline (some of the doctors are out there helping out). I'll be honest, when I first saw the plot I thought, "not another African tragedy story." Last year the show had done this whole thing in war-torn Congo. But damn if those ER writers did not manipulate me again and what the news and the rallys had not done they accomplished - making me feel upset and sad about the Darfur situation, to the extent that I want to get active.

Viewing the re-enactment of the refugee camps and the destruction of these people's lives, I am appalled anew - how can human beings do this to one another? Why does there seem to be no value to human life in these tragedies? What makes a person lose all sense of right and wrong and commit these acts? Why?

Larger than that, I am very upset that this situation is another Muslim on Muslim violence. In Islam, we call each other Brother or Sister. How can a so-called Muslim kill his, "brother?" It is not only in Darfur that this happens, we are seeing it daily in Iraq. I want to shake my fellow Muslims, this travesty and mockery of our faith should make us want to scream, instead we are wasting energy over stupid comic strips created by ignorant people? What is wrong with us?!

If you are feeling as restless and at a loss as to what to do, I have attached the following link below from the Holocaust muesum.
http://www.ushmm.org/conscience/alert/students/

We cannot be silent.

Also, I was tagged by Tony for to list six weird things/facts about myself..so here goes:
1. I am addicted to romance novels, they are my guilty pleasure. I can stay up all night and read these things.
2. I've always wanted an invitation to the White House Correspondence dinner.
3. I wear Spongebob Squarepant fuzzy slippers around the house.
4. I can eat a whole container of Pringles in one sitting.
5. I look for signs from God by the songs that come up on the radio (when I'm driving).
6. I watch, "What Not to Wear" to get fashion tips

8 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Brothers have been killing brothers for centuries. It still doesn't make it right.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Sad world, VG; but it's always been so.

Your job is to make it as good as possible and find the rainbows where you can.

Have a glass of red wine and watch a Marx Brothers film; the world will seem a wonderful place!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Pringles are YUMMY!!!!

Romance novels... eh. Not for Tony. Some of them are pretty saucy, tho.

You should TOTALLY crash the dinner. Show georgie boy who's boss!!!! Hell, I'll go with you.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

I can eat a whole can of Pringles in one sitting too . . . so I have banned Mr. Random from ever bringing them into the house. I only recently have started watching "what Not to Wear" and I love the fashion tips . . . I now know not to wear dresses with large flowers on them or pants with front pleats - it is quite the educational show!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think killing and aggression are human traits. They just get blamed on whatever differences we identify, most often religion or nationality. Some of us work hard at overcoming aggression/hatred, and, you're right, we can't be silent.

I still like romance in my novels, but I like it to be one thread of a story rather than the whole of it. As you know, however, I love chick lit.

I used to be able to eat the Pringles in one sitting, but no longer :(. And I like What Not to Wear, too (American and British versions). I will be sad if tapered or peg-legged pants ever make a comeback, since they flatter almost no one.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - thanks for reminding me of that - this brothers killing brothers is nothing new, sad in all these years, we haven't been able to shed this.

Pax - how about a can of Dr. Pepper and an episode of "Keeping up Appearances?" Yes my job is to look for the rainbows where I can..easier said than done, no?

Tony - (in a Homer Simpson voice) Pringles...good. ok here's the deal if you come up, we can try to crash the party together, but we mustn't get arrested!

Random Kath - oh good, I'm not the only one who finds that show helpful, they have really taught me things that I didn't think about, curves, prints, fits etc. I think what I have learned most is that I MUST find clothes that fit, as if they were tailor made. What a difference that makes!

Merci - yes this hatred/aggression must be a natural human trait, can only explain why we beings have such a propensity to move in this direction. Chick lit does rock and is a great way to read romance but for the romance not to be the only theme of the book. When I want just a little romance, I go to my chick lit : )

9:12 AM  
Blogger Melas said...

OK so I'm way behind on this, but why would you watch what not to wear for fashion tips? Unless you have some unlimited supply of things and as the show airs what not to wear you check off some items thus making it easier for you to eliminate them as choices. I think it would be far more efficient to watch a show about what to wear. Just a thought.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it http://www.food-safety-kitchen-inspectors-in-ri.info chrysler neon Anti depressants fact dresses for less weight loss Golf diesel vw Funny sex games online Bet slot machines on line Camping in line water filters Pdas handhelds and mobile technologies in Graphics for a dj business card Laser hair removal knoxville Bondage furniture build http://www.watches-9.info Best california in rate refinance data recovery

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home