Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Pentagon

Everyday I walk or drive through the Pentagon reservation (commonly referred to as simply "the Pentagon"). If you live in the Washington DC/Northern Virginia area, you know that the Pentagon is a transit center, focal point for commuting. It has a Metro stop, big bus depot and slugging (unofficial car-pooling). At 5pm, when I'm walking through its vast parking lots, the Pentagon is a crazy hub of activity. People rushing here and there to get home. There are lots and lots of miltary guys in uniform around as well as tons of us "civilians."

The Pentagon is the headquarters for the United States Military, the greatest and strongest military in the world. I think of this every time I step onto the Pentagon grounds. It often boggles my mind that I'm walking past this building that has changed and affected so many lives around the world. Decisions are made in there that mean the life and death of thousands of people. A press briefing goes on inside there almost daily, crazy!

This is a building, that during the Cold War, supposedly had a nuclear missile aimed right at. And of course after 9/11, I know as I stride on by, there are a lot of Islamic Fundamentalist's out there who would like to seriously harm this place. I won't lie, sometimes I'm a little scared to walk by, afraid of being so close to such a big target.

It's such a plain unassuming building. Commuting through here is certainly an experience, I always feel very adult, as I am joining the other fish, "places to go, people to see" sort of atmosphere.

ps - yes, while walking, I always make a point to check out the military guys, some of them are hotties (Air Force guys in their leather bomber jackets, yowzeers)!

10 Comments:

Blogger Maidy said...

It is kinda mind blowing when you think about it like that.

I've never been to Wash DC. Heck, I've never seen the Liberty Bell.

12:03 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Hmm, do you walk slow and smile a lot? Maybe you're looking too hard.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Imagine how I feel. I work in a hotel where our guests are 95% USAF.

Flight suits.... mmmmmm

10:21 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Maidink - hee hee, you've never been to the Liberty Bell? Isn't that always the case, we will go all over the world to see sights but never visit those things in our backyard. I'm the same way.

Joe - Thanks for the laugh, nope never smile, I'm in my "very important person" mode, hee hee.

Tony - Yes they are hot! See this is why we are friends, we think so much alike : )

9:24 AM  
Blogger chick pea said...

i love DC..
was there in march.. used to live in bethesda..but never made it out to see the pentagon...

my brother lives near the liberty bell.. it is so small in real life...

it is true, we never see our backyard.. i have yet to go to the grand canyon yet have been to vegas multiple times :)

11:51 AM  
Blogger chick pea said...

also miss VA: having a shindig in chicago after my boards, i know you fly a plenty... if you can make it, try to come :).. would send you an email, yet don't know where to send it too.. email me at garbanzobean@gmail.com if interested :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Chick Pea - that is so nice of you to invite me, I shall dash out an email to you this evening. I love a good shindig!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

I do dig the fly-boys!

12:35 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Molly - What would Juan think if he knew about your fly-boy? hee hee.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home