Friday, May 12, 2006

Harvard Elitism and more...

Harry Lewis, former dean of Harvard wrote, "the university has had its head turned ever more by consumerism and big public relations imperatives, to the detriment of its educational priorities for its students. In short, money and prestige rule over principle and reason." I couldn't agree more.

Ever heard of the expression, "the man?" It is often used like, "the man is keeping me down" or "we must fight the man." Harvard is the institution that creates, "the man" the status quo, the standard.

I recently read an article by a Harvard MBA grad, he argues that Harvard students are more hard-working and overachievers than others and it is for this reason that "Harvard DNA" is so many powerful positions, such as two presidents, supreme court judges, filmmakers, authors, leaders of companies. Yet could the reason for all this crimson blood flowing in the upper reaches of America, not be because they are so much more superior to the rest of us Cretans but because they keep it in the family. Perhaps it is all a good ole' boy's network, it wouldn't be the first time no? Even the MBA kid pointed out that networking is so incredibly important to the Harvard name that all business school students are encouraged to get business cards, complete with the Harvard stamp, in their first semester of the program.

Why am I writing about all of this, because I am outraged by that twit of an Indian girl (thanks again for besmirching our names, you ninny!). This oh-so superior Harvard sophomore that already had a book deal before entering the school is like me, an Indian kid raised in America. It has come to be found out that portions of her book have been plagiarized.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12521477/from/RSS/

I am galled - I can't stand kids like her. They want all the praise and accolades but don’t want to do the work. I am sure she smugly told all her classmates about her book deal, in a pseudo-attempt at being modest. I can see it now, someone is talking about applying to school or some achievement they just had and she goes, "oh that is just like when I was writing my book and my agent and publisher were pushing me to finish." Naturally this is going to pique one's curiosity and our little glory-hound would have been able to unload all about herself and her little book deal.

Additionally what bothers me most is that this girl is Indian. I know her type, we had family friends who are her type. I couldn't stand them when I was forced to hangout at gatherings and I can't stand them now. They have this unnatural competitive streak and getting a book deal at such a young age would have made her family head and shoulders above all the other kids in the community, as if getting a book deal somehow makes one a better human being. What kind of priorities is this that having a book published puts you ahead in some non-spoken competition rather than seeing the character of the person? You can tell this Indian girl is from this group of people, because she has yet to apologize properly to the author of the books she ripped off. To this Indian kid, all's fair in love and war, she was just trying to get ahead.

It is this crazy competitiveness to which Harvard thrives, probably many of the kids who go to school there are like this Indian girl, very aggressive, believing by being the head of something, or top of something, makes you a better person, superior to your fellow man. But it doesn't, and yet Harvard continues to nurture these baby Einsteins, because to an institution having all these "successes" does make you a better place. To Harvard, which graduated George Bush and Elizabeth Dole, it is all about who you know, "self-promotion," a show-offness and lack of humility that is treasured and valued. And yet how sad when human beings worth is being measured by the same standards as a cold stone establishment.

11 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I think you should write a book, then you'll have some good comebacks. "But my publisher said..."

3:41 PM  
Blogger Maidy said...

I was wondering what your view on that whole book debacle would be.

I figured it was nothing more than elite competiveness. But your post gave me more insight on the reasons behind the stupidity.

I figured how she (or the really the ghost writer) managed to do the book with so many different books mashed together. It was a computer program. All they did was ask her her fave books, took into her account her ethnic background, pulled all this info together, and VOILA!

Too bad they were banking on readers not noticing. Fools.

For sure her book will now be Ebay gold on the resale. Shame she can't reap those profits (ha-ha-ha).

5:41 PM  
Blogger Khakra said...

Harvard personalities are a bit philandering to be around. They talk hot rod topics, small talk's a bit alien to them and their sense of humor is as good as a grape-nut.

But darn, are they smart. They know their future won't be messy and their confidence is admirable.

Then there's the MIT gang, who want pitches to be 0.29 inches to the left so it could be called a strike. Cambridge MA is certainly a tough place to be, not for nincompoops like me.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

I hear you.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I believe there are many, many more students who are better deserving of a Harvard education than many, many of the elites who have such a diploma under their belts. Nothing pisses me off quicker than a snob and Harvard appears to be the top of the heap for a snobbery degree.

George Bush is a Harvard graduate? Hmmm, they didn't teach grammar there? Hahahahahaha.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Do you think there's any chance that this was accidental? I've read and re-read some authors so much that I sometimes channel them unintentionally.

I know what you mean about the competition. I have a friend who is very competitive, but tries to hide it. It cools a friendship.

I look at the really competitive, "up with me, I'm never wrong" folks around me. They achieve career success, but it's often at the expense of their personal lives. Not worth the sacrifice, if you ask me.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - I'll get right on it. I'd love a book deal : )

Maidink - Yeah, I think they had something like a computer program created for this rip-off. I had to spend a week composing what I would say about this, so it would be coherent, I was just livid when I first heard about it, having had to grow up around these kinds of Indian kids, I have to say I'm a little smug that finally one of these super competitive jerks got caught!

Kharka - welcome! You are not a nincompoop! I think the intelligence of Harvard students is overinflated - its a name/reputation thing now. I'm sure there are some very smart kids there but just as much I'm sure there are air-heads who got by on legacy admission (see current president).

Molly - thank you : )

Brenda - I concur, I do think the admission policy of Harvard favors kids who may not be smart but whose parents are well-connected or have some publicity themselves. Doesn't this than just dilute the image of Harvard being this bastian of intelligence? Yes, clearly having a Harvard MBA doesn't indicate having a good grasp of English, hee hee.

Merci - I can't be friends with people who are that competitive, they just irk me. What kind of friendship is that, someone constantly trying to one up me?
(nodding head in agreement), sacrificing personal life for work is never worth it.

8:49 AM  
Blogger chick pea said...

that is why i'm thankful my parents never knew my SAT score.. couldn't go up to people in their brown gatherings and compare/compete..

i went to harvard for a year ms. virginia.. some people there should not belong (all by family name, money, legacy bullsh*t), and others are super brilliant..

they do have an ego..it's kind of funny..because when you peer into their world from outside a fishbowl...their world view is pretty narrow...

and yes, their degree might get them far ahead...but in life experiences, many are pretty duddy

12:22 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Chick Pea - thanks for providing further insight into the world of Harvard, so there are those who shouldn't be there, sad that they have taken slots from probably more well deserving people.
Aye, I just hate the whole, "who you know" behavior.

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH NOES! The most prestigious university in the world is competitive! And we all know that competition is baaad for your self-DUH-steeeem!!!

Please. I agree that Harvard is overrated and full of snobs, but what on earth is wrong with being competitive?

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home