Wednesday, May 24, 2006

View from the 23rd Row

Carry-on Luggage

This is a reprisal of a previous post, but dear Merci is going on vacation and I want to give these tips agains, so she may be able to pack a simple carry-on bag for the trip, rather than schelping a suitcase (which I find to be just a big pain the ass).

How to Travel with Just a Carry-On Bag
1. Learn to mix and match outfits, double up. I have two skirts that go perfect with this black turtleneck I have, with one top I now have two outfits.
2. One to two pairs of shoes, that is it! Shoes take up a lot of space, wear one pair and pack one other pair if you must but no more!
3. Keep it light, travel size everything if you can, no big bottles of shampoos or toothpastes, waste of space, space savers include - paperback books, mini-toothbrushes etc.
4. Bring stuff you can leave at your destination, to make room for the stuff you buy.
5. I'm sure you've heard this before, roll your clothes, gives you more space.
6. Don't bring things you will get at the hotel i.e. iron, hair dryer etc, towels.
7. Really evaluate what you need, you'll find at least 1/3 of what you pack you really didn't use while on the trip.

Right I can't think of anything else, if you have any other tips, please pipe in. But kudos to Merci for attempting this, I've trained my family to now fly sans suitcases and it has made us all better travelers!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!just thought poppin in to say hi!its Vale here from Milan!
*hugs*

9:20 AM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

You would be so proud of me - I only brought one little suitcase to NY! It made life so much easier when tromping up and down the subway steps . . .

What do you do when you aren't sure of the weather on any given day? For example, some days it's been really too warm for a sweater and some days I've needed a jacket. How do you handle packing for variable weather?

3:09 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Thanks so much! I really want to try this. We plan to be fairly casual most of the time while we're away, and I figure I can slip a simple dress or skirt into the carry-on for a night or two fine dining.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Val - hello!! I hope you are well, when are you coming to America to visit?!

Random Kath - Good job, now weren't you happy not having to schlep around a big suitcase, which is so painful. Hmm..good question about weather, I usually err on the side of it being cold and bring lite things that can be worn underneath, i.e. the black turtleneck, I also bring a nice thin black t-shirt, so if it does get hot, I can wear that instead.

Merci - Casual is perfect, the best way to enjoy a vacation! I hope these tips help and you too can experience the joy of traveling without a bunch of baggage : )

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home