Monday, March 26, 2007

Humorless G-Men


2007 World Figure Skating Championships are over....America did not do well at all. One medal, a suprising bronze from Ice Dancers Belbin and Agosto. I say suprising because they made a few mistakes but I was proud of 'em, I love their free dance Amelie program (I hope they bring it back next year) and they only unveiled it mid-season, plus they were riddled with injuries, so to do so well, amazing! As for the rest, I think for the top American figure skaters, they need to toughen up, less skipping out on international competitions, less blaming of injuries, equipment coaches etc. All the people who won this year, came out throughout the season, so they were well-practiced and the international judges really respect that.
On a sidenote, maybe its because I've started watching so much figure skating, but I completely agree with most of Dick Button's comentary, even when its mean.

Is it just me or are government types, and especially military people, lacking in serious senses of humor? Lately I've encountered more than my fair share of humorless guys in uniform - yes America has enemies, but haven't we always? If we fail to laugh, to use a cliche, "haven't the bad guys won?" (I'm not saying if I'm at the airport security checkpoint to joke, but if we are in an informal setting, say a library, isn't it ok to laugh?).

Read this amazing op-ed piece in the Post today about the use of fear in our current climate of poltics, which I think falls in line with my non-funny g-men issues. I guess I just can't take myself that seriously (I love to laugh and joke) and I have difficulty interacting with people who are serious ALL OF THE TIME as if someone took out their humor bone. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/23/AR2007032301613.html
(and I think what bothers me is that if that seriousness was effective than I could see using it, but clearly 9/11 and subsquent terror plots have shown us that no humor in a person's soul isn't a guarantee to a safer place/better security/peaceful world.

Guess I'm just pissed because someone said I wasn't American since I hadn't served in the military. Screw you is what I wanted to say, but I didn't. I wonder if that guy would have said that if I was a pretty blond haired thing, you know the quintessial damsel in distress, instead of a foreign looking girl.


6 Comments:

Blogger Random Kath said...

OMG, I can't believe someone said that to you! When my sister gets back from overseas, point this dude out and we'll have her pound him into the sand for you. :-)

Lots of people, especially those in our highest reaches of gorvernment, have not served their country in that way - and some of our choose to serve our country in other ways - by helping those fellow human beings who reside here in the U.S.

Goodness, where did this guy say this to you?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

It was at this library mystery night affair...he was one of the cast of characters and I started questioning him (hey he was a suspect!), I'll give that I wasn't very nice about it. But than he goes, "have you served in the miltary?" and I said, "no" and he goes "why not?" So I joked, "becuase I can't wake up at 8am every morning." He goes, "well you're just un-American." So I got pissed and said, "sit down, you're my number one suspect now." He was equally pissed and said "I don't have to do anything, I'm a volunteer." (which he was, for this library event), but obviously he was also an ass, for breaking out of character and going for the anti-American jargon, besides the fact that it had nothing to do with the mystery. I was floored! Luckly my team members just carried on, otherwise, I might have had time to stew on it and really yell at him.

5:22 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

O My dear, there are those everywhere!, but I guess you weren't on the look out for him at that kind of event. Ya know I'm the mommanator-let me know his name and number we will get him taken care of in royal fashion-ya know I am of English decent!- ya don't have to wait for Randoms' sis to come back! How rude! and unconscionable of him! So what makes him an expert on Americans anyway? being a dude in a mystery at the liberary? He must have not looked at any of the books whilst there!

6:27 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Cheney didn't either.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommantor - Yes, I think the worst part was that I felt blindsided, didn't expect this anger at a mystery night at a library. Oh well, you live you learn, no?

CSL - hear hear sister!

Joe - oh my goodness, I though the same thing, only about an hour later, when the moment had passed. Damn my slow brain, but I wish I had said that to him!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good afternoon wwwb.logger.com guys.

Are you searching to get your Local Store [b]Listed on top of MSN[/b] search engine? Maybe you are looking to get more traffic? We have the solution for you! We offer you an exclusive chance to experiance the knowledge of our [b][url=http://xrumer-blast.com/marketplace/xrumer-products/]Xrumer Experts[/url][/b]. [url=http://www.xrumer-blast.com][img]http://xrumer-blast.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img][/url]

It is NOT spam! This is a human created entry specifically created to demonstrate the strength of our automated software and its potential of getting to wide variety of audience in an effective and time saving manner.

We are a group of veteran [b]Xrumer[/b] and [b]Search Engine Optimization Experts[/b] that provide [b]Affordable, High Quality, [url=http://xrumer-blast.com/marketplace/seo-products/]SEO Service[/url][/b]. Post your message on thousands of forums, message boards, blogs and journals and gain organic traffic in a matter of days! With the help of our [b][url=http://xrumerblast.livejournal.com/]Search Engine Optimization Experts[/url][/b] your [b]Site URL[/b] can appear on [b]3076[/b] forums and forums. Receive almost instant increase of SERPS, Get thousands of quality backlinks directly to your Forum without lifting a finger!

Our goal is simple; we want to make you and your website on the top of every search engine so you and your family can enjoy the comfort of steady, automatic income without leaving your home. Trough our [b][url=http://xrumer-blast.com/contact-xrumer-blast-com/]SEO Experts Advice[/url][/b] you will receive one of the best support seen in the industry. As part of our [b]Search Engine Optimization Services[/b], we take care of everything for you, from Optimizing your Website for search engines all through ranking your Forum on the first page of your Bing.

For more information regarding [b]Search Engine Optimiztion[/b] and [b]Xrumer Blast Services[/b] visit [b][url=http://xrumerservice.livejournal.com/]SEO Experts[/url][/b]. Our site includes everything you need to order your first [b]Xrumer Blast[/b], you can create the most appropriate message (Project) to suit your Bussiness, send us the information and after the payment clearance we will start working immediatly!

[url=http://xrumer-blast.com/marketplace/][img]http://xrumer-blast.com/wp-content/uploads/Xrumer-Blast-Logo.png[/img][/url]

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home