Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Internship Help

Summer is quickly approaching and I still don't know exactly what I'm doing - as an MBA student I was really hoping to have a high-faluteen internship with some fancy investment bank. I know that was a pipe dream (these are mostly reserved for ivy league schools), but I still went through the application process for several large investment banks. Only one bite, and their second stage, forced me (me of the low quantative skills) to take a numerical reasoning test, which I promptly tanked. But I did send a follow up letter to the recruiter with my transcript and a recommendation from my Stat's professor, to prove that I'm a hard worker, even though perhaps under the timed conditions of the numerical reasoning test I did poorly.

But my real passion was to spend the summer with an airline or some other top travel/aviation industry related firm.

I'm at my wit's end! I've applied all over the country, every airline that had an internship program, I sent in my resume. Heck even airlines that didn't have an internship program, I wrote, to inquiry if maybe we could arrange something. And for those companies I had a contact name with, I sent follow-up emails, reiterating my interest and yet I'm still sitting here waiting. What to do?!!

How do I convince these companies, these nameless people who are making the determination, that I am the best candidate?! I'm the most ideal because I have the deep burning desire in the pit of my belly to be in the aviation industry, I love almost all things about it and that when the chips are down, I'll be there (I'm not your typical MBA - in it for the money).

If anybody has any advice, I'm all ears. For example, if I've emailed the recruiter once already, is it polite to do it again? Should I do it again, to emphasis that I REALLY want the position?

7 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

Well it can't hurt to email again or perhaps a personal phone call!? or lovely written letter? dont give up hope! Let them understand your passion as I did in your post.
Have you talked with professors to get some assistance- seems like something you have done already, but doesnt hurt to mention.
Is there a site on computer for internships? I wouldnt know, but you might.
you might have to broaden your scope of search? I know you must feel like you already have.
How about a state agency? yes I'm a state worker, but I know in the field of social work, nursing they do have internships. its worth a try at any rate. If all else fails you can come live with me I have a wonderful internship on how to retire! LOL
Have a blessed day!

6:34 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

You can email again, as long as it's been at least two weeks or so - don't want to feel too pushy or desperate.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

So the alumni network and/or career center have been totally unhelpful? That's so discouraging! Would you consider a smaller (2nd or 3rd tier) bank to intern with? What exactly does one of these internships involve? I'm kind of clueless about these things - is it worse to just find a summer job temping at a financial firm and make contacts that way? I'm just trying to think a bit creatively . . .

5:01 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Just keep sending those resumes out, you'll get a bite soon!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I agree--I don't think anyone ever sat back in retrospect and regretting "not trying hard enough." What have you got to lose?

You and I share a lot of the same spiritual beliefs, one of them being that when the time comes for the just the right thing to happen, the pieces will all fall effortlessly into place, and your path will be obvious.

And if need be, I'll be your "Van deLay Industries" and give you a glowing recommendation! ;-)

10:26 PM  
Blogger CS said...

That's weird, I was sure I'd left a comment. Must have gotten scarificed to the Gods of the Internet, who hate me. Anyway, trying to put myself in an employers shoes, I think another letter would be a good thing. Esspecially if you can think of some other reason you'd be an asset to them to add to it.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommnator - thank you for all the lovely tips! Hmm...state agency hadn't thought of it, but maybe there's an avenue there, certainly I'm in the state capital of VA. Thank you.

Joe - good point, I don't want to sound pushy or desperate (though I'm feeling that way...desperate). hee hee.

Random Kath - oh thank you for the kind words, yes the alumni network is non-existent as far as helping, professors mean well also but they see only opportunties locally while I want to go big-time. But it might be local for me, and like you said make network connections.

Molly - oh that wouldn't work anyway, I'm not well endowned, hee hee.

Brenda - from your lips to God's ears, I hope something bites otherwise its going to be a very depressed Virginia Gal over the summer.

Belinda - LOL!!! Van Delay Industries - ha ha!!! You're right, when its suppose to be, when its what God wants it will be - guess I was hoping He would want for Virginia Gal to be interning in London with all these smarty-pant kids, you know moving in a higher circle of society, maybe meet someone...perhaps I was a bit lofty. I'll keep plugging away, something has to happen, no?

CSL - ahhh good idea, another letter with another asset of mine is a two way bonus because it not only shows one more good thing about moi, but shows my desire for the job. Thanks!

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home