Monday, January 14, 2008

Four Days and Counting

It is just four days till I leave for Copenhagen and this morning I woke up with a fever. Swell. I spent the whole day at home, popping ibuprofen like it was going out of style - must get well asap! I really don't want to be traveling sick, plus have lots to do before leaving, aye!

My sister came home this evening with sad news - she was let go. I feel so bad. This is her second job in two years. Personally I think she is a good person with good skill sets but is being mismatched or scapegoated with these companies. She is an IT professional. Also, I'm not sure she is cut out for the world of non-government, personally I think she should work for the government where ass-kissing is a little bit less. I think part of her problem is that she is not a good politician, she doesn't play well in office politics and that is half of the job, no? Maybe if she had brown-nosed more, her manager would have been willing to keep her, despite her not knowing all these particular IT programs???

I just don't know what to do...I feel horrible that she feels horrible and also I feel like I'm leaving the family in a time of crisis. I've given her some options, some companies I have contacts with, as well trying to maintain optimism around her, but what else can I do?

I'm striving to stay faithful throughout this time, trying to reason that God continues to love us and that this has happened for a reason, from Him, as chaplains are wont to speak. I'm working hard not to go into my usual doubts of "Why God, why?" All I can say is that it is a tough journey.

7 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

Don 't ever think asskissing isnt in governamental jobs-Some of the best brown nosing I have seen is in g-jobs. There is a reason for this, your sis will regroup and go on. I will keep both of ya in prayer for your travel mercies and he job search!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Copenhagen, Copenhagen, beautiful beautiful Copenhagen. We were only there a few days but it was pretty, but they put mayonaise on their fried potatoes.
Good luck to you. But we expect visits to internet cafes and pictures.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, virginia gal. I'm sorry. I'm sure it must all feel very frustrating and uncertain for you just now. Sometimes it's just really hard to make ourselves understand that God has a reason for everything - easier said than done and all that. Feel what you need to feel, even if it's anger. God can handle it, and it will make you feel better than feeling like you have to hold it in and rationalise everything.

I hope you get to feeling better physically too. Nothing worse than being sick and traveling.

I'm praying for you and your sister and can't wait to know you're over here!!

5:41 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

i hated losing my job a few years ago. it totally threw me into a funk for months. and i HATED that job and i saw the ax coming! i'm so sorry your sister lost her job. my hope is that maybe, after she moves past the hurt, it will inspire her to find what she really wants to do.

as far as politics: there is politics in every office, even in "safe" government jobs. just because it's harder to fire a government worker doesn't mean there aren't other ways to make life hard.

i know you feel like you're leaving your family in a time of crisis, but remember the flipside of crisis is opportunity. remind them to seek the opportunity of this and remember that YOU are about to embark on a great adventure. remember yourself to take advantage of EVERY opportunity you can there!

i'm so psyched for you! ... will you keep blogging?

7:22 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

What Molly said. She said everything I was going to say - you will have a great time. Don't feel guilty! I am sorry about your sister's job, though, and I will keep my ears open. I hope you are feeling better soon (and ibuprofin is Very Bad for you - I hope you are taking it on a full stomach at least!). Sorry - mother hen does tend to pop out and mouth off these days. :-)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommanator - My sister and I both thank you for keeping us in your prayers...she is down in the dumps but hopefully this too shall pass.

Joe - I just got my digital camera for my birthday so pictures from my adventures in Denmark you shall have via this blog.

Kate - I can't wait to see you, thankfully I'm feeling better. I love what you said about God, He can handle it. Its the first time I've ever heard that and I really like it. How presumptuous of me to think my anger at God would upset Him. Thanks for making me see this issue in a different light.

Molly - I will keep blogging and thank you for the lovely sentiments. Yes that is what I told my sister..for her next job, she must find something that inspires her. She is thinking of maybe going into a completely different field.

Darla - What is wrong with ibuprofen...I'm not familiar. But yes (smile) I always take it on a full stomach, per my mother LOL. Thank you so much for keeping your ears open..any and all help much appreciated in finding a job!

12:47 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I think it's mostly with lots of use over long periods of time, but I've read articles about intestinal damage (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050111123706.htm) and kidney damage (http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/analgesicnephropathy/, among other things. Occasional use I'm sure is fine, but the image of you popping tons of ibuprofin was too much for mother hen!

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home