Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Has the Media Learned Nothing??

Two things about the media today that just annoyed the heck out of me:
1. 17% of the New Hampshire precincts are in and already the media is ready to almost call the primary and to write off a candidate. Have we learned nothing from the 2000 presidential election?? Aye, aye, aye, can we wait until say, oh I don't know 50% of precincts are in before making a judgement call? Also why is the national media writing off John Edwards, he didn't do badly in New Hampshire or Iowa and I still maintain that he is a viable candidate. As for my two cents about New Hampshire, God Bless you little blue state, but truly, you are not indicative of the larger nation and as you tend to consistently go blue and are surrounded by like-minded blue states, I don't think many take their cue from New Hampshire (see the fact that McCain won for the Republicans, bet you a nickel he doesn't do that well down here in the Bible-belt, illegal immigrate hating South - Republican country).

2. In the Northern Virginia area we woke up this morning to find out that Redskin coach Joe Gibbs is retiring. If you were not aware, the DC metro area is all about the Redskins (our NFL football team), I think it has something to do with the fact that the Redskins are the only local team that have won a championship (Wizards, nope, Capitals, nope, Nationals, nope). Our local Fox station preempted regular program for three hours to cover this "breaking news." Are you freaking kidding me?! Three hours because a football coach is retiring - what the heck is wrong with this picture?! Yeah fine, its Redskin country but THREE HOURS?! Come on, there are people dying in the world, our soldiers in Iraq don't even get this much television time. Priorities people, sad statement about Fox's priorities.

4 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

OMG are you on target today!
I hate the primaries! I know the are something we have to go thru! BUT the darn press! can't they let us think just a little bit-we have agreat minds as they think they do! We CAN think!
I agree about Coach-yes he will be missed here in Skins country-but you would have thought he were dieing for goodness sake!I am in MD now.
Hill winning EEK I like you like Edwards- he just has to stand in there Obam & Hill will duke it out and get ugly, I believe and he will be standing there saying I AM the best candidate here

8:54 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

war only gets news coverage from a political standpoint. not that war isn't political, but the last thing the anyone seems to focus on is that our sons and daughter and mothers and fathers are out there putting their lives on the line for ... whatever it is the bush admin thought was so important. we rarely hear about the soldiers and we NEVER hear about the civilians who have to live through the fallout.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Ray Bridges said...

Edwards is still my first choice among the Dems.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm sure we'll have more than a few things to talk about in the months to come.

Cheers.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommantor - yes I wish the press would let us think for ourselves...guess we will have to say. And I like your thinking - Edwards coming out of it clean : )

Molly - That is the tragedy indeed, the fallout is just not recognized and maybe if it was, more people would be upset about this ongoing war!

Houston - My pleasure, enjoyed your blog and welcome to mine! So glad to hear you are a fellow Edwards supporter - rock on!!

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home