Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Wedding Dresses - Danish Style!


I had to post this picture because well, it made me giggle a little when I walked by it. Its a wedding dress in a very swanky store here in Copenhagen and yet it doesn't really strike me as being very sophisticated. But than maybe that is the point; here in Denmark, weddings are not the big production they are in the States. Actually statistics and from what I've heard when talking to Danish folk, is that many people in Denmark do not get married, they will live together for years and years without formally saying, "I do." Often they only get married when a baby is on the way. There is no real tax incentive to get married here, nor is it culturally frowned upon to not be married.

While this dress is very Scandinavian in its simplicity coupled with its nods to modern art, I should point out that just a street adjacent to my place has one or two wedding dress boutiques with more traditional dresses (which sorry I didn't take pictures of, but think elegant and classy), so not all Danish brides are being dressed as if they just came out of a Courtney Love video.

Still, perhaps I simply got a hoot out of this dress because a very good friend of mine who wants a very traditional Virginia-themed wedding, is currently shopping for wedding dresses and I thought she would die at the idea of wearing something this frilly and rather avant grade (but if you like it S, let me know and I'll see if they ship to Virginia, ha ha).

9 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I think many of the European countries have the same regard for marriage. I know the Dutch feel the same way, they'll live together until and unless they decide to have children and then marry.

I like the dress! :-)

8:23 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I'm surprised to see a wedding dress in a window at all!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

i actually think that's a pretty dress. not too frilly. but that's just me.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute - I thought you were supposed to wear jeans and drive up to Elvis the minister in a convertable pink Cad. What is this fancy dress stuff you talk of?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

VG: When I read this article in the the NYT, I immediately thought of you and this post

http://tinyurl.com/2xo7eo

It's about brides not going for conventional dresses anymore. Be sure to click on the picture of the vampy gowns.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should get that dress, dye it purple, cut it off at the knees and wear it around town to make a fashion statement!

You are after all,deep down, a maverick!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - yes much of Europe is similar in this regard...glad you liked the dress!

Mommantor - oh I didn't think about that...maybe because its a china shop, which is why they had the dress???

Molly - yes it could be an Ophelia like dress, just not my particular style : )

Joe - ha ha, sorry no Vegas style weddings in Copenhagen yet (yet!).

Random Kath - you are so funny - thanks for thinking of me - I'm always ahead of the curve, LOL.

Godfather Pax - deep down a maverick, oh how I wish : ) But if I did dye it purple I would definitely make a statement in Denmark (which favors blacks and grays in fashion cloths).

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kind of like that dress. My own wedding dress was very simple - handkerchief linen, made in 1808 by my great-grandmother.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

citizen of the world - yes you were not the only one who liked it. Guess I just have different taste from my friends, such is the world, no? : )

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home