Thursday, April 02, 2009

Good-bye ER


Call it, time of death, 11pm, EST, Thursday April 2, 2009. One of my favorite shows, ER, is over. I am sad. I am very sad. I am very very sad.
I have been watching ER from the beginning. I remember exactly how I got into the show, it was my senior year of high school, in AP Biology, my first period class. My lab partner, Samantha was a big fan of the show. She would talk about the last night episode, the next morning. She wanted to be a doctor, which is how she got into ER. With so much of her praise I couldn't help but be convinced to give the show a try. The first ER episode I watched - "Loves Labor Lost." A powerful moving episode that had me crying in the end. I was hooked.
I went off to college and formed an even stronger bond with the show, how I made friends in my first year at Mary Baldwin College (this mutual love of ER), I would block off Thursday evening for this Must See TV, going downstairs from my third floor room, to watch in a crowded second floor lounge. My friend H and I would not miss any episode. It was like that for the four years we went to MBC together, us watching the show together in whatever dorm lounge we lived in, arguing over characters (she didn't like Kerry, I did, I was in love with Dr. Carter, she was not) and crying over the patients that died.
This television show has been with me through thick and thin. I have watched it every single year, following the characters, their lives. At times watching ER was the only thing I had to look forward too on a Thursday. I loved how by 10pm, everyone in my house would be asleep and it would just be me downstairs, in the soft lite family room, curled up on the sofa, with a cup of tea and a warm blanket, immersed in this imaginary world of a fictious Chicago hosiptal.
There are so many memories I will take with me, with this shows passing, the crying over Dr. Green's death, the laughing at Gerry's antics, the shock of the season finale when Dr. Carter and Lucy the intern are stabbed, the disbelief at Abby getting kidnaped by some gang, the being moved by Kovaj's foray into war torn Congo, the hilarity of Dr. Morse's love life, the cuteness of the new Australian doctor and Ray, the jealousy of them both being Neela's love interests and the craziness of all the hundreds of stories the filled up the fifteen years of episodes of ER, from the brother honor killing his sister to the prostitute who uses ginseng which negates her birth control, all outlandish, weird, bizarre, suspenseful stories. And through it all I knew ER and its writers would keep me on the edge of my seat every Thursday night at 1opm (even in those last few seasons when I could call which patient would die at the start of the show and how I would vow not to cry and inevitably those damn ER writers would get me again in tears at 11pm at night).
Goodbye to you my old friend, you will be missed.

11 Comments:

Blogger Molly Malone said...

I have never seen a single episode of that show.

Sorry you'll miss it.

7:07 AM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

I watched the series finale and thought of you. I thought it was really good. I like that Mark Green's daughter was there. He was my favorite character. I too, remembered our times in college watching the show. Thanks for the memories Ub.

10:14 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

What will we do @10 on thursdays??
How come you didnt mention Doug? OMG I loved Clooney.
I do like the way they ended what class and what writing! they included everyone they could! I love that Neela went to be with RAY. I loved her character! So smart and cute!
Carter-at one point I asked my dau-can thye do anything else with him! They really tortured him throughout the years, but he won in the end!
Of course being a nurse I picked apart what thye did wrong, but they got it pretty right.
Dau #2 and I would call each other on commercials to see what we thoguht. ANd would just call at the ends and cry-
Avery good show indeed

9:28 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Molly - it wasn't for everyone.

My Mind Wanders - good times, thanks for sharing!!

Mommantor - I knew it, you had to be a fan, this is why we are friends!! I LOVED Dr. Carter and would have married him in a second and yes those ER writers always made me cry.I don't know what I'm going to do on Thursday nights now.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Spanco said...

The first few ER episodes were not good but as the time goes this show becomes more and more interesting and i hooked with this show.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Spider said...

I have seen every episode of this show and its mind blowing. Its the best medical drama which i have ever seen in my life.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm really into shoes and I was digging allowing for regarding that singular model. The prices for the sneakers were about 350 dollars on every site. But for all I base this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what do you think?

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been searching as far as something that particular brand. The prices seeking the boots were approximately 190 dollars everwhere. But definitively I base this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what is your opinion?

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good day dudes. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots are around 200 bucks on every page. But for all I found this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what can you say about it?

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon friends. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for that singular make. The prices seeking the shoes are about 320 dollars on every page. But completely I set this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home