Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Humanity


This week has been one of those times when I could really use a big vase of flowers. I saw a bumper sticker on cafepress.com the other day that says it all, "I'd rather be in Denmark." It reminded me off all my beautiful flowers, while living in Denmark - they always made me smile!

Don't ask, I couldn't even tell you why I'm feeling blue - if only it was that easy, no? I think a lot has to do with my grandfather being very sick. I am very close to him. I can't imagine my life without him there. So much of my childhood is linked with him, amazing, great, fantastic memories - like getting so excited when he and my grandmother would come visit from India or the joy of my family and I getting on a plane to go to India and spend the summer there with him and my grandmother. Good times! I was so close to him as a toddler that whenever I would go to India or he came here, I would sleep cuddled up with him. Even today, he and I can stay up for hours into the night, chatting. Sigh, I am praying he gets better.

I was going to post about those tea-party people, freaks as far as I'm concerned. Hey if you don't want to pay taxes fine, get off my roads, don't call my emergency systems and when some natural disaster strikes or you're in mortal danger, don't call my military. Did you know Americans only pay 9% of their income to federal taxes. That is nothing - for all we get in return. Also I find it hilarious that the Republican party is screaming about deficits now, umm..how selective is their memory, who caused us to get into this deficit - Bush and his war! Remember Clinton left us with a surplus!

Also I am disheartened about all this revelation of our (America's) use of torture. I don't care how horrible the prisoners are that we have in our capacity, when we do what they do, we become like them. I would hope by not engaging in those same activities, we are separated from those same people who perpetuated the Holocaust, the massacres in Burma, the genocide in Rawanda....when did we lose our humanity? There is a reason our WWII Vets are called the Greatest Generation - this stuff was just not done. Let's return to that honor.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope that he gets better too.

And I'm sorry that you're just generally feeling down. I wish I were closer so that I could give you a hug and that we could have a long talk over a cup of tea.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am praying for your Grandfather. May God grant him a quick recovery. Amen. Keep Positive thoughts and you certainly don't want him to feel you are so down. He needs all the Pep you can muster. I know it is easeir said than done, but we have to do it for our loved ones. Seems like a nice childhood you had, hopefully your life now is as loving.

spring is almost here, so you should see more affordable flowers in the markets now or go steal some from the neighbors.

Republicans are a Hoot. They need to dig their heads out of the sand and look around Idiots. I have faith that Obama will be more humane than the vicious people who disgraced this Country for last 8 years.

Cheer up, life can be worse. You now have a"Big People" job and health insurance to boot. I hope I will hear soon about a man in your life!
All the best.

Austen

10:31 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Sending prayers that your grandfather is better soon!

I think Americans pay more in taxes than many other civilized countries because of all of the extra taxes we're stuck with. Income taxes will never be fair, or right, until the loopholes are closed so that business owners, the corporate bigwigs, ect,,,pay their fair share of the tax.

10:40 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

O My I am praying for your granddad!
WOW your post is something! Get out or something-you went from flowers to genocide! Yikes
Whats your address I'll send some sunshine & flowers until then Huggs & Kisses!

12:06 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

You can get flowers here too.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

sorry your grandfather is ill. sickness can be so disconcerting.

i've been mostly unplugged from all the goings-on in the states for the last week, though some of it has trickled to my attention. i agree about those tea party people. gimme a break. not to mention, Obama just wants to raise by 4% what the upper 1% pays. which is to say, he wants to take the upper 1% back to how they were taxed under Reagan. Ronald Reagan, aka, the Republican messiah. shrug. whatt're you gonna do? people will whine and bitch no matter how their neighbors are suffering.

i haven't read anything about the depth of torture, but frankly, nothing would surprise me. even when we're at our best, we're not always above our worst. and we certainly have not been at our best in the last 8 or 9 years.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Sending prayers for your grandfather and your family. Is he in India now? I know that his illness will be even more difficult for you if he's far away.

I agree with you about taxes. The taxes that bother me are my local taxes, which are almost entirely school taxes. I don't mind helping to pay for a decent education for children, but NJ's educational system is a mess of tiny districts with duplicated resources. It' absurd and way overpriced.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole past month I could have used a big vase of flowers, so I get that. Hope you grandfather is well soon, and a hearty amen to your outrage about torture.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Kate - oh bless you, and have a cup of tea for me, English tea is the bomb!

Austen - you make me smile and that is exactly what I need right now, thanks!

Brenda - yes it would be nice if we could get rid of the tax loopholes.

Mommantor - thank you for the sunshine and flowers : )

Joe - oh bless you.

Molly - yes it is stressing when someone you love is ill and you can't do anything about it. It is now my faith really kicks in...

Merci - No my grandfather is over here now, thank goodness, because you are right being far away sucks when someone you live is ill.

Citizen - we shall share this vase of flowers : )

11:13 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope he recovers quickly. :-( Hugs!

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home