Friday, February 05, 2010

Kick A Man When He's Down

Thanks to everyone for their kindness regarding my depression - sadly it has only gotten worse and not better.

Last weekend, I had gone for a job interview, for a job I really, really, REALLY wanted - back with the airline industry!

I applied to be an inflight crew member for a major US airline and oh I so WANTED that job, I made it through THREE screenings (online, automated and phone interview) I made it past 6,000 other people - to the final stage, the in-person interview and that is where I got rejected.

I knew it was tough competition going in (95% of the other people interviewing for the positions were former flight attendants, which I am not) but I really thought I had a chance! I prepped for the interview two weeks in advance, talked to former flight attendants, did practice interviews with myself in the car, researched the company, everything I could think of. I am so disappointed. I know I should not have put all my hopes into that one ball and I have been looking for other jobs. But that is the one I WANTED!! It just really hurts, that rejection. I know they say don't take it personally, but when the interview is so much focused on your personality how can one not take it like an attack on your being, on who you are, no?

The worse part is that I was OVERJOYED at the idea that I would be going back to the airlines, you can't even imagine (actually if you read this blog than you are one of the few people who could imagine, as you know my passion for the airline industry), so this was a double blow. I could taste the jet fuel - it was so close and than to get it snatched away, just heartbreaking!

Since that rejection, I've decided that 2010 is not going to be my year and I'm refusing to get my hopes up anymore for anything. I know its not very positive but I just can't take the heartbreak.

Well....I'm off to cry a little, not that it helps anything but since the rejection I've been doing a lot of that : )

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh hon, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm in the job hunting game, too, and it is no fun at all. I interviewed yesterday for a job I really, really want and there were a total of 6 candidates for the job. I've never seen that many people apply for a job in my field at one time. I'm not holding my breath.
Here's hoping we both find something soon. Really soon.
And to help the depression, you're in AZ! How about some nice, long walks in the sun? With some good music in your ears.

6:19 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

ok, you're allowed to cry -for about 3 minutes. Have ya heard about the economy and just how many people are seeking jobs! I know it's a blow, but girl you better look at your blessings or I will really mommanator you big time! You have been through many changes yes., you have health, you apparently have food and money and a wealth of people who love ya!
It wasn't the job for ya! Ya know God closes one door but another will open, be patient my friend! You are in my prayers! {{{huggs!}}}

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your job. I am sure this was not the first time you felt this bad. It will take time but it will pass. I don't think it is a commentary on you, it is a reflection of the job market right now. The Airline was probably looking to invest less in the training, therfore they might have picked candidates that required less training.

It might help, if you talk to the people who love and care for you. A friendly voice is always soothing and reassuring. Don't let this devil ( Depression) get the best of you. You will get through it. I will keep you in my prayers.

Austen

9:31 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Sorry about that, but to give up on the whole year when it's not even 10% done, and after such a tremendous birthday? Come on, get moving girl!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our society, and I am 99% certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory falls, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.blog.com/2010/01/31/will-the-r4-or-r4i-work/]R4[/url] DS qqPost)

6:20 PM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

Oh Ub. I'm so sorry about the job. That is hard. But just remember, that when these tough times come, that is the real time when we need our friends the most. We need them to help remind us of how special we are, and why we are so loved. So here is my list of why I love Ub.
1. She loves those cheesy romantic comedies, especially ones with singing and dancing! You know the ones.
2. She is a giving, loving, and caring friend who has always been there for me.
3. She makes me laugh! "Relaxer shoes, anyone???"
4. When we get together, we always have the "best" talks
5. I know that no matter how much we grow individually, no matter how far apart we live, we will always be friends.

This is a short list, but the list in my heart is longer. Love ya girl!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the job.

Hang in there. You can do it.

7:44 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

That sounds really disappointing and I'm sorry to hear about that job. But don't decide the year is a loss already. You still have nearly 11 of the 12 months left - there is no way to predict how it will go.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

There will be good things this year. Have you thought about volunteering somewhere for a little while? It might raise your spirits.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://sopriventontes.net/][img]http://sopriventontes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]future of filemaker pro, [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]buy microsoft office software[/url]
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]`09 Freeway 5 Pro[/url] reason software price Collection Retail Price
adobe photoshop cs4 tutorial [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]educational software company[/url] educational discounted software
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]adobe photoshop cs4 academic discount[/url] discounted software
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]download windows vista[/url] ahead nero 9
cheap microsoft office software [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]home sales software[/url][/b]

12:09 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Shannon - thank you for the kind words, its comforting to know others are in the same boat : )

Mommantor - bless you for the love.
Now will you come and live next door to me? I need someone happy like you around me : )

Austen - I took your advice and have been talking to loved ones and you are right it has helped a lot!

Joe - I need you as my life coach, to get me moving : )

H - you are da bomb, I am blessed to have you as a friend!

Kerry - thank you for the sweet words!

Secret Agent - ok, I'll give it two more months before writing off the year : )

Merci - good idea! I shall look into it.

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home