Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy Story

In the spirit of the holidays, I wanted to share a happy story I stumbled upon while listening to the BBC yesterday (I like to listen to the BBC at work, its the closest I can get to London at the moment).

It starts out sad, about this little boy abandoned in a Russian orphanage. He has cerebral palsy. Its the early 1990's, the Russian economy is falling apart, he is stuck in Baby House 10, going undiagnosed medically, the workers at the house think he is mentally retarded. The conditions at the orphanage are sparse, no real love or affection and the little boy is left in a silent ward with no toys, no exercise, no education all day, every day. By happen chance, a British journalist's wife stops by the orphanage and Vanya, the little boy, calls out to her. This sparks a connection that will help save his life. She monitors and keeps an eye out for Vanya. Yet, poor little Vanya is sent at age 6 to a mental asylum, housed with adults, living a nightmare. But Vanya continued to reach out to the adults around him and through this, Sarah, the journalist's wife and Vika a Russian woman, labor to get Vanya out of the mental asylum (Russian beau racy caged him and other children like him, in adult mental homes) and finally adopted by an American woman. Now Vanya lives in Bethlehem, PA, is an honor's student and a member of the Boy Scouts.

I know the story is rather sad but the ending is happy, (yay!) which is what I like and can go for. Presently, I can't do sad stuff, it must be the hormones, but I just start to get weepy. I can still do angry though. Don't get me started on my boss!

Has anyone ever had the experience of this, with a supervisor.... if said supervisor is not busy, they will come and bother you? Its like they don't want to do their work, so they will come and make work for you? In my case I am noticing that acutely. My boss, RARELY sits at any length of time in his office just doing work. He LOVES to chat with anyone and everyone. If there is no one around for him to chat with, he comes and creates work for me or takes time out to critique my work. To me, its almost like a child or a cat, he must be distracted with shiny toys (in this case other people to talk with) or he comes and bothers me, like he can't entertain (in this instance, work) by himself.

Don't forget - Free Shipping Day is tomorrow! Check it out here - www.freeshippingday.com

4 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

Pregnancy hormones are something else. I remember being more easily moved to tears than usual. And I had a pregnant friend who bawled when she found one of azaleas had died!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I feel for you hon, those hormones are doozies. They turn on to make your life miserable again when your childbearing years are done.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i just want to say hello to the community

2:42 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - thanks for making me smile : )

Brenda - say it ain't so!!!

Anony - Hello!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home