Monday, December 06, 2010

Kitchen Gadgets

Some changes at home, we are moving. Alas, not out of Arizona (God will I ever leave this horrible state?!) but into a different location. We most definitely need a bigger place, the baby is not even here yet and she has taken over our one-bedroom apartment! I find it funny that something so small needs so much stuff! Tonight is our first baby-care class. Thankfully, both mothers are helping us out when the baby arrives, so for at least the first six or seven weeks we won't be alone, parenting. I know, I know, millions of people do it alone all the time, but if the experts (our mum's) are willing to help, why not take advantage, no? Hey, if Yo-Yo Ma was willing to teach my kid the cello, why would I say no? It's the same comparison in my mind.

I am hoping in this move to clean out some of the stuff in the apartment. Just looking at the kitchen there is room for de-clutter, too many Tupperware dishes, too many glasses, on the flip side, not enough kitchen gadgets. Thank God for those Bed, Bath and Beyond gift cards! Also, I'm wondering if maybe we shouldn't invest in a new vacuum cleaner, the one we have doesn't seem to pick up as well as I would like.

Working in an office, I have one big pet peeve. Why do people always think the administrative staff are experts in all functions of the copy machine? This use to bug me at non-descript airlines and now bugs me at the new location. It seems the higher the position or degree of the person, the more inept they are with the copier or more demanding that someone else fix the copier machine. The hilariousness in this situation is that I don't actually have a degree or certification in copy machine repair, but I do have common sense (what a novel concept), most copy machines are made for the 8th grade education level, the machine will often walk you through what is wrong with it. A person just has to read the screen. The other day a student came in demanding I fix the machine, he didn't ask to nicely and I was not pre-disposed to help. I did glance at the screen and say, "oh its broken." And did not volunteer to help fix it. The student was clearly annoyed and very sarcastically suggested I was smarter than him. I replied equally in a sarcastic tone, "clearly." He left. As soon as he was gone, I went and 'fixed' the copier machineā€¦it was out of paper. He might be a doctoral student, but at that moment, I was smarter than him!

6 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

I remember when I was a work-study student in the sociology department in college, planning to go on to grad school. One of the secretaries (I know, but it was the term used then) gave me this advice: "Always be nice to the secretaries." I never forgot that and it has always served me well. Because in return, the administrative people were always good to me. Golden rule, you know?

7:14 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

My cubicle at work is right next to the room with the shredder. Darn thing gets stuck all of the time because staff overload it, jam it and walk away. I could spend half the day helping people to unjam it if I wanted to (I don't).

9:52 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

You go girl, guess you got the one upmanship on him! teehee, it pays to be smart!

Now on to the vacuum-have you cleaned it or gotten hubby to!? You need to make him think you dont understand it Teehee.

i agree with momma helping, but are ya having them both at once? that may be interesting! Get all the help ya can as it doesn't last forever.

9:20 PM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

Ha! Good for you!! (with the copier and the move and the 'mums' coming to visit! Hooray!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - Great advice, I wish more would adhere to that!

Merci - I hate that, when people think because you are near you are the fixer. I'm glad you don't do it all day!

Mommanator - thanks for the vacuum suggestion, I did not even think about that : )

H - thanks chica!

12:11 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Wait a minute - I thought you were moving back East - what happened?

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home