Thursday, July 21, 2011

Books are dead?

I heard the saddest news this week - Borders has filed for bankruptcy. Wow. I'll be honest, of the two big book chains, I did and do like Barnes and Noble better but the reason behind Borders' death frightens me. It seems those electronic readers are taking over. Some pundits are saying that hard physical books are going the way of records.

I hate the thought that physical books might become obsolete. I love actual books. I love flipping the page, I love seeing stacks and stacks of books; browsing these books. My ideal house will be filled with reams of built in bookshelves (naturally with books inside). Do you know, that one time my sister and I spent a Friday night in London, LONDON, hanging out at a bookstore?! This is how much I love books!

My resistance to e-books comes down to one issue, and one serious to me. You can't read an e-book both during take off and landing in a plane. Silly, I know. But we all know, they make you turn all electronic devices off like 20 minutes before the plane actually touches the ground. That is a precious 20 minutes I could have been reading, heck I could be in the middle of a good part and now have to sit around and twiddle my thumbs. Blah.

What makes me sad about Borders' demise is gone are the browsing opportunities. I love browsing through book stores, finding new authors, new stories. You can't really do that on an e-book.

I will say the one and only thing that I see as an advantage for an e-book, less paper, going green.

Hope that the demise of the physical book is not well until the year 3000 when I'm long gone.

5 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Agree

10:50 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

I hate to hear that. I actually prefer Borders to B&N. And I find reading a real book easier than an ebook. I don't like having to rely on an ereader or computer for reading.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - : )

Secret Agent - amen sister about relying on a computer to read a book, ugh.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

I love my Kindle. I can download a book immediately, and I can take my library with me wherever I go. The main reason I bought the Kindle was because I had too many books. Books have gotten to be like Tribbles in my household at times over the years.

I still love books and libraries. I prefer old-fashioned, independent bookstores to the chains, but they're hard to find anymore. I liked Borders but I didn't go there often because I saved so much money by shopping at Amazon, especially with free shipping.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Monique said...

Call me old or old fashioned, but I love the feel/smell/collecting of BOOKS!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home