Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen!!



I've made it!!! I'm in Copenhagen Denmark!! Fairly settled into life here, the immediate above picture is the view of my street when I'm walking down. Isn't it great?! I live in a really POSH part of town - its right off the main center square (Kongens Nytorv), think living in a street right off of Times Square or Picadilly Circus. Amazing, no?! I am loving this location!!! Its one block from the Royal Theater and about three blocks from the Royal Palace. I live in a single with my own bathroom, which is nice. My view is outside to the main street, very lovely, very Bridget Jones girl living in the city (which has always been my dream). Its a small room, but I like to think its cozy.

I'm still settling in, thankfully my internet works beautifully (particularly in light of the fact that I don't have either a television or radio in my room). I've had to invest in a pay-as-you-go cell phone, but this means that I have two phones here in Denmark, my American number still works and a new Danish number.

So far everyone has been amazingly nice, everyone in Denmark, both Danish and international visitors has been so kind. In my building we are an eclectic bunch, my next door neighbor is German, a few Americans also on the floor. Up one floor is one girl from England, a guy from Scotland, one from Canada, one from Czech Republic and one from Ireland. And everyone has still not moved in, so there will be more interesting residents coming in throughout this week.

Danish orientation classes (where I'm learning Danish) have been fun as well - meeting more people, mostly undergrad's, but all very nice. Also, regarding my regular school work, which starts next week, I have gotten almost all the business classes I wanted, super! For the first two months I'll only have two classes, but for the first part of April I'll be slammed with four courses (but only for two weeks, as some finish and some start).

Already I've meet someone in the Copenhagen Business School Muslim Student Assocation, so hopefully I'll meet more and more people through this venue and I went to the Anglican English church up the road from me this past Sunday - it was lovely. I know I'm not Christian, but I really enjoyed the English language service and everyone was so nice, I think I'm going to try to go as much as possible, if only for the fellowship (besides if you ask me praise to God in whatever form is good, no?).

Right this has been an incredibly long post - just wanted to let all my fabulous friends know I have arrived in Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen!!!

13 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

I am so jealous of your trip to DENMARK, but not the studying!
Will your classes be taught in DAnish?, guess you will learn the language by fire if that is so!
Much luck and the blessings of God as you procede with this adventure! Keep us posted!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!! That's so exciting, sounds like a wonderful adventure is in store for you. Soak it up!!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well if you're gonna go to church, you might as well go to the anglican one. they're the best!!

so glad you're lovin' it. when does the royals-watching start?

ENJOY!!! i'm so envious....but i'll see you soon enough.
kxx

11:51 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

want you to know: i'm clapping like a seal for you!! i'm so happy you're settling in nicely! ... is the scot a redhead? i'd never seen a higher concentration of ginger-tops than my few days in edinburgh!
you'll have to let me know how the irish is. man, i loves me some celts! i hope he/she is nice!

and i'm so happy you're meeting some Muslim folks there. and kudos to you for checking out a church on your own! i agree with you that worship is what's important, but i don't know if i'd have the chutzpah to go to a synagogue or mosque by myself. you got moxie! VA Gal rocks! see what kinda gumption a new venue can give you?!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous... Are there any Democrats over there???

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a grad student dorm, or just housing the school arranged? Nice for you. And glad the internet access works, for us.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Hina said...

glad you figured out how to use the camera - I wasn't sure you'd know how to upload the images, but this is decent ;)

7:28 PM  
Blogger Random Kath said...

See, I've been away from blog visiting for so long, I didn't even know you were going to Denmark! How awesome! I'm wildly jealous - I hope that one day I can study abroad for a semester too - maybe even at the London School of Econ, but can't put the cart before the horse yet . . .

So glad that you are settling in so well - please keep us updated on how the Danish lessons go. I knew someone who had to live in Copenhagen a year for his job and could never get the language right - people at parties would make him try to read children's books aloud for kicks. Hopefully, your friends will be a bit nicer . . . :-)

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome, now you need an international romance so that I can live vicariously through you!!

4:47 PM  
Blogger NM said...

happy birthday!
im glad your having an awsome time in Denmark =]

5:56 PM  
Blogger Ray Bridges said...

We Anglicans are a very welcoming bunch.

Studying abroad in such an interesting place. Wow. Good luck and do well.

4:48 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I'm so glad to hear you are safely there and enjoying yourself! SOunds like a wonderful trip.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommnator - thank you for the blessings (and good news the classes are taught in English!).

Skatenelson - I'm working like a sponge : )

Kate - can't wait to see you either! (and yes I thought of you when I went to the Anglican church, knew they had to be a good bunch!).

Molly - I have impressed you with my hutzpah...wozeers this trip is truly changing me.

Polly - yum there are...but I missed their meeting last week. I'll keep an eye out for something in February : )

Joe - grad student dorm, actually a mixed under/grad - but student housing...quite interesting!

Hina - thanks for the compliments, from you that is a big deal!

Random Kath - so far this trip has been quite exciting...I hope you get the chance to study abroad as well!

Jellykean - oh that would be awesome, an international romance, I'm not working on it...so maybe it will happen (smile).

Naema - thank you darling for thinking of me, I love my birthday wishes!!!

Houston - you are indeed a welcoming bunch! Thanks for the well-wishes!

CS - Appreciate your happy sentiments, so far the trip has been wonderful indeed!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home