Sunday, February 03, 2008

Introduction Week at CBS


Officially two weeks I've been here in Copenhagen - and I'm loving it (except I could do without the wind, it reminds me of Edinburgh, sans rain).

This week was the Introduction week for school - basically a second orientation, there was a large group of new students who joined the exchange program (they came this week because they didn't want or couldn't afford last week's Danish language crash course).

The activities for this week included Danish folk dancing. It was a funny night, as the English guy in my building said "I'm in hell." You can imagine how the boys/men enjoyed sashy-ing and jumping around the floor. But in the end everyone had fun. Monday was movie night, a weird Danish flick, one thing I haven't been able to pick up or understand yet is the wacky Danish sense of humor.

Last night was the formal dinner - it was all Danish traditional food for the exchange students. I sat with this French guy and we laughed all night over Seinfeld episodes (ahh Seinfeld the universal language of humor, hee hee). The event was buffet style and I'm telling you, its the first time since I've been in Denmark that I've truly been full. I ate and ate and ate, with no shame.

Food is one of the most costly items in Denmark, the newspapers here even note that food in Denmark is either the MOST expense in Europe or a close second to Norway. All of us from North America have learned to really penny-pinch when it comes to food - but in a way it will make me appreciate America so much more when I get back, I can eat chocolate chip cookies without having to sacrifice, oh say, milk. Crazy, no? Nothing in the grocery store is less than two dollars, with most things much more expensive (6-8 dollars). For example, today I went to the Wal-mart like store and they had a box of cookies for 25 kroner, which is $5, and we are not talking American size portions either. And forget about food variety, you get very little choice in foodstuff here, except in cheese. Boy Denmark loves its cheese and pastries. The above pastry picture is the one splurge items my friends and I had while shopping today at this lovely bakery in the big shopping mall, we each got one of those items for 9 kroner, which is like $1.90. They were delicious!!!

But enough about my hunger pains - do please try to help my lovely and long time friend (since middle school!) Jelly Kean, end world hunger by donating to her Bare Ass campaign. You can go to her blog and read all about it. She rocks!

I'm off with most of the rest of the people in the building to go to a pub here and watch Superbowl. Go Giants!

11 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

You didn't mention the price of pubs. What do you drink and how expensive is that part? I know you don't, but what is the price of beer in a pub there?

12:34 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

THE GIANTS WON! not that i give a rat's ass about them or football, but i just wanted someone to keep the Pats from their 26th SB ring of the 2000s. you'll have to let us know what it was like watching the game in the pub. we always hear that there's a worldwide audience of X-umpteen million viewers, but i'm never quite convinced that the rest of the world gives two figs about a sport that only we play.

5:51 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

did ya really have to post those scrumptios danish pastries!? I am trying to loose a few pounds! Now if ya had taken me with ya I might not have so much to eat as I already pinch pennies! retired ya know! AM glad you are settling in! sounds fun! GO Giants Loved the game!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if one were to send a care package from Scotland, say, what would you like in it? Any teas, cookies, chocolate products you'd particularly like? I know we don't have all the good American stuff, but I can send some pretty decent British staples if you'd like....

We can't have Virginia Gal going hungry!! (just saying that reminds me sooo much of my grandmother!)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Hina said...

Hey - you should post about our Giants winning last night! Its all about big blue! I have an icon of charmander wearing a Giants hat at my journal ;)

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm. Those look good. Sounds like you are having a fabulous time - I'm so glad for you!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Copenhagen, what fun! I have the travel blues. I'm itching to go anywhere, but it's not in the budget.

Those pastries look marvelous! When you get back, come to NJ for some fab bear claws. We get some great ones at a coffee shop nearby!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Cheese and Pastry!!!! That's all you need, m'girl!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I second what Kate says. If you want a care package, I'd be happy to mail something your way. Send me an e-mail and tell me what you're missing!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - the nice thing about bars and pubs here in Denmark, many don't have entrance fees, so usually I don't spend anything when I go out. I think beers are usually between 30 to 50 krone, which is 6 - 10 dollars.

Molly - you would be surprised, the pub was quite full (though with lots of expat's) but many Danes as well. Of course in our little group of exchange students I had to explain to my Romania and English flat mates what was going on, hee hee. Lots of pubs here were showing the game so obvious its watched (but we didn't get the ads, bummer).

Mommantor - hee hee, Denmark is a great place to go on a diet - but I had to post the pictures, just to remember (we demolished those pastries, hee hee). Go Giants!!

Kate - oh you're so sweet, thanks for thinking of me! You don't have to do that but I wouldn't say no to any English teas and candy, hee hee.

Hina - I'm happy that you are happy for your team, rock on!!

Citizen of the World - they were yummy, they survived on our table for about 20 seconds, just enough time to take the picture LOL.

Merci - Its a deal, bear claws and coffee in Jersey sounds heavenly right now : )

Pax - ha ha, I laughed out loud, you would think that is all you need to live in Denmark, by looking at their grocery stores. Yesterday I was at the local shop and my God if they don't have a whole isle of cheese and pasta, one quarter of a shelf. Crazy!

Shannon - oh you're so sweet! Thanks for thinking of me - you don't have to send anything but I wouldn't say no to American homemade cookies : ) (made with Gaby's help of course!)

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home