Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Politics and Careers

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and such sweet sentiments of sending me food - very appreciated - you guys are fabulous!!

Much happening here in Copenhagen (or as they spell it Kobenhavn). My school, Copenhagen Business School, had a big job fair today (see picture above). It was so much better than the ones I have at my home university; big multi-national companies. I talked to the people from KPMG, Carlsberg Beers, PriceWaterHouse Coopers, NovoNordyesk - I would have gone to Nokia but there was a line at that booth. Still networking was done, many of the firms gave me names and web addresses for their American recruiting teams. Ahh, there was a reason I came here, connections baby!

Also, had to let everyone back home in America know that people in Denmark are very much following our primary elections. The main headline in the papers on Tuesday was "Super Duper Tirsdag" (that's Tuesday in Danish btw). People are very polite here about politics, they don't usually talk about it, but once you make it clear you are not a Bush fan, they will let their guard down. I think they don't want to offend if you like Bush et al. I have yet to meet anyone in Denmark who likes him - some people have even said they are waiting till next year to visit the States when hopefully he will be gone. Great going G.W., that's taking nation-building in a new direction!

I think because of the extensive coverage over here, many Danes even have a candidate they like (of the Democratic party), generally most are leaning towards Obama, though some will ask why I'm not a Hilary fan (when I tell them I don't like Bush they usually follow with "who do you support?"). Also interesting to note, here in Denmark they have (like most of Western Europe), a rather right-wing racist political party. Yet, when the professor's in class mention this group, the Danish People's Party, which campaigns on xenophobic ideas, everyone laughs. Its comforting to know that a racist group in a Western European country (with all of its immigration problems, Denmark is not immune to that issue) is not taken seriously. I only wish the same could be said of the States, when silly politicians run on the basis of some very ridiculous ideas (i.e. building a wall between Texas and Mexico).

SHOUT OUT TO THE GIANTS AND MY SISTER - she is a die-hard Giants fan (we are talking Giant jerseys, blankets, slippers, not going out on Sundays in the fall to watch her teams games) and I'm happy her Giants won (though really you did not have to text me at 4am Copenhagen time to let me know that, LOL); the girl deserves some happiness in her life! Rock on Charmander!

6 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

I have had a Swedish Exchange student and he always seemed more interested in politics than any American student I have known. He has even studied all the presidents of the US and is very interested in the voting process etc.
Man you seem so vibrant in that cold place, must be a good lifestyle change for you! Great going for choding it!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are just blogging up a storm! I'm realy enjoying living your adventure vicariously.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommantor - yes many here in Denmark are very interested in our politics and I'm impressed that they are so well informed, would that our own populace was so engaged, no?

Citizen - oh thanks, I am loving it here - and I'm online a lot because it is the only way I get noise; I don't have a tv or radio here and I'm not good with absolute silence, so my computer and net is up most of the day : )

4:38 PM  
Blogger Hina said...

hell yeah!! go big blue!!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you wanted to work in airlines? But accounting firms? Oh, such suits.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Hin - yes yes : )

Joe - you are correct I do want to work for the airlines, but I thought about it and some of these firms pay big time for MBA's and they have some amazing programs. So if I can get into one of these for even two years and pay off my loans, than I can go back to doing what I love : )

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home