Sunday, February 10, 2008

Malmo, Sweden

Deliciously warm weather here today in Denmark - but it is about my side trip to Malmo, Sweden that is the subject of this post.

I went yesterday, with a group of friends from CBS to Malmo, Sweden. Its about 30 minutes from Copenhagen; very simple to get there from Copenhagen, just hop on the train and voila, you're there before you know it. It was a beautiful sunny day and complimented the trip perfectly. Malmo, as the picture above should give you a clue, is this charming small Swedish costal city. Reminds me of a college town. We walked all around the city, saw the viking ships, castle, city square and their historic part of the village (which is where the picture is taken from). I'm sorry if this makes me sound like a crass American, but doesn't it remind you of an amuesment park; like I'm in Busch Gardens or something?

You cross over a tiny portion of the North Sea to get from Denmark to Sweden and some in my group took these amazing photos of the bridge and the wind turbines that are placed in the water (for energy purposes, gotta love Scandanvia, very environmentally friendly!). Unfortunately they haven't sent me those pictures yet so I couldn't post them.

All the exchange students are eagerly making trips to see various parts of Europe and yet I am not. Having, through my airline travels, seen most of the big cities in Europe, I really just want to focus on Scandanvia - is that strange? Let's see, I've been to London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Venice, Vienna, Prague, Milan, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Madrid, Malaga, Lisbon, Stockholm, Athens, and even parts of Russia - St. Petersburg and Moscow, so I'd rather go to new locations I haven't seen or experienced, which might not be the big names but are adventures in themselves, no? I don't know, I kind of get the impression from many of the exchange students that this is the wrong thinking......

Well enough pondering, off to get some studying done, trips to Sweden are fun but they also push reading assignments for another day (smile).

8 Comments:

Blogger Hina said...

well, if you ask me, you're strange regardless of that...but you need to study and they don't. Though I can't imagine you not getting a B with your eyes closed and your tundas dirty :p

I'm bored...

7:03 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I totally agreee with you, you don't learn about a country just by going to the major cities!
Although I would go to Reykevik any time again!
also San Sebastian, Spain in the Bering Sea-just unbelievable!
I tend to like the country sides of countries, even in the good ole USA! people tend to see the BIG cities and leave the other places unvisited- how about the cadillac farm in Texas! to see all those cadillacs face down in the earth- funny!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool side trip. I like to get to spend a little time exploring around in a country, seeing more than just the major "sights."

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we were out for our Swedish exchange student's wedding it was still the ferry across the straights. We spent a week driving up the Swedish coast - seeing the castles and old towns. And of course Kosta Boda and Orrefors.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're absolutely right to want to see new things. You've traveled so much already it just makes sense to go elsewhere.

Be expecting a little something to appear in the post by the end of the week/beginning of next. I got worried about you starving, so sent you some Scottish treats. Sadly, none are homemade - I've been lazy recently. Let me know if it doesn't arrive within a couple of weeks....

11:29 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Sounds like you're having a blast! I'm jealous!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The side trips and hidden away places are always the most awesome part of any travel I've done (except for getting lost in some pretty hairy areas a few times).

I'm enjoying the heck outta your photos.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Hin - thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm a bit nervous about how they grade here. Aye!

Mommantor - thanks, you're right you see some of the most interesting things in the countrysides of a place, its not always the big cities!

Citizen of the world - exploring is cool and I agree side trips lead to some amazing finds!

Joe - wow - send some recommendations, I really want to see some of the more bigger Swedish castles but am having difficulty narrowing down what to visit.

Kate - you are so sweet, I just got a note that a package is waiting for me at school, maybe its yours?? Yay!!!

Tony - thanks I am having a blast and don't be jealous, come visit, I'd love it!

Brenda - Thank you for the compliment, I'm trying to take pictures well but I definitely could use some photograph classes, hee hee. And you are right side trips often reveal hidden away places that are most awesome!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home