Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Library Overnight


An image from Kings Square in Copenhagen, you know right in front of where I lived from mid-January to mid-May. I am feeling depressed of late and missing my absolutely fabulous life in Copenhagen. I know, I know, it was but a fantasy time; yet I am not alone in this thinking. Many of my fellow exchange students are making the same "missing Denmark" lament.

Enough! This post is not about my mindless whining but instead about this announcement I saw in our local library monthly newsletter (yes I am a geek, I get the newsletter).

Halloween Library Lock-Up
Now is your chance to fulfill that dream of spending a night in a haunted library.

There will be electronic games, board games, crafts, hauntings, and breakfast, to name but a
few of the things going on.
Friday, October 31, 9:00 p.m.–Saturday, November 1, 7:00 a.m. Grades 6–8 (middle school)

At first glance I was super excited - a library lock-up! Oh how thrilling, I wanted to join. Than I noticed the pesky note about it being only for kids from grades 6 to 8. How annoying! You know that book, 1000 places to See Before You Die, well if they altered that title a little to 1000 things to Do Before You Die, one of my wishes would be to spend the night at the library. I would have access to all those books!! I would stay up all night just re-reading my favorite parts of my favorite books (mostly books on royalty and romance novels). I would go through magazines that I had always wanted to pour over but never had the time. I would hang out in the teen section and not be ashamed of being there, only going through the good parts. And if I didn't like a book, no worries, just put it away. I think the most fun for me is that I would have the place to myself, I could sit in the middle of the aisle, hell I could lay down and read to my heart's content. Sigh, dreamy....

9 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I've always felt that if I were to have to be holed up somewhere during a disaster, I'd want it to be a library. :-)

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful thought, to spend the night in the library. . .

12:53 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

WELL YOU OUGHT TO HIDE AWAY IN THE LIBRARY WHEN THEY CLOSE- AND REALLY TRY IT. OR HOW ABOUT ASKING THE FOLK HOLDING THE EVENT IF THEY NEED A NONCOMMITTED CHAPPARONE? MIGHT WORK HAHA
YA KNOW I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT, BUT IT MAY JUST WELL BE A PLACE TO HIEDOUT FOR A NIGHT-QUIET,SERENE,NO SMOKE,NO LOUD OBNOXIOUS FOLK, READ WHATEVER YOUR HEART DESIRES! MAYBE YOU HAVE COME UP WITH A GREAT NEW STORE OR THEME STORE IDEA!WE COULD RAKE IN THE MONEY-I AM RETIRED AND I COULD TAKE TURNS WATCHING THE STORE! WE JUST NEED FRONT MONEY AND A PLACE. WITH ALL OUR FRIENDS WE COULD STOCK A LIBRARY! I HAVE SO MANY BOOKS NOW I NEED TO BUY ANOTHER BOOKCASE! LET ME STOP, I HAVE COME UP WITH MANY HAIRBRAIN IDEAS IN JUST A MATTER OF SECONDS-AND THEY ARE ALL DREAMS!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'd be happy to lock you in my library for the night! :-)

Btw I tagged you for a meme over at my blog. I hope you'll have time to do it!

10:57 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Yes, they usually do take chaperones, you might be able to get in. Does sound like an enjoyable night, but bring along a flashlight since it's a haunted library I'm sure they will turn the lights out.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

i agree with Joe; see about being a chaperone. plus, maybe you could ask you library about doing a grown up version of this. i'm sure there are other adults in you neck'o'the woods who'd be down for something like this.

8:05 PM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

OH! You are funny. I seem to remember you actually spending the night in a certain library.....hmm...:-)

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like a library lock-up, but only if I were left undisturbed to read.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - Yeah, wouldn't that be so cool!

Kate - wouldn't it be a wonderful night? I think so!

Mommanator - You start up the store and I'll readily come to work for sure!

Darla - good tag, I'll try to do it soon!

Joe - interesting...I shall ask!

Molly - there is an idea.

My Mind Wanders - are you talking about a certain senior night? ha ha..

Citizen - yes undisturbed is the key!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home