Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Frontline/Deadliest Catch

I just watched an amazing episode of Frontline (on PBS), it was about the invading Taliban in Pakistan. It was very insightful as to how the entire cult of Taliban works. What really struck me and what has lately been firing me up is how much poverty plays a role. Poverty makes for susceptible recruits to the Taliban. According to the news reporter there are 800,000 plus children in Pakistan, a quarter of which live in poverty. Why are we not working to keep these innocent kids from the clutches of the Taliban. I don't know, but I feel like we would be best to use our resources for fighting this poverty instead of spending money on torture. I wonder which would yield the best long term results??

Of course torture is much more manly for Napoleon complexed men like Dick Cheney than the humbling act of lifting people out of abject misery and bare human existence, no?? We claim to be such a Christian nation, why is there no empathy for this poverty, these children? We have no qualms about spending million on weapons but balk at building schools - I wonder which one Jesus (PBUH) would back (sarcastic).

*******************************************************************************
On the flip side I'm getting back into the Discovery Channel television show, The Deadliest Catch. I know some of my fellow bloggers watch this show. Despite knowing pretty much what goes on in the catching of crabs, I'm still hooked (no pun intended but certainly appreciated). I'm secretly crushing on the Northwestern crew member Jake. He is a cutie with startling hypnotic eyes (does anyone know are they blue or green?). Besides who can't get into the pure masculinity of this entire process....

5 Comments:

Blogger Molly Malone said...

Hmm. When I read "what goes on in the catching of crabs," I read something completely different that what you intended. I thought: "I didn't know VA Gal was into *that* kind of programming!"

5:47 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I agree that poverty plays a major role in the Taliban recruitment tactics but I also believe that their lack of education and their not having had exposure to other ideas is equally to blame.

Those crabbers rock, don't they?

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A woman at my church used to sometimes were a "Who Would Jeuss Bomb?" t-shirt. I loved it.

8:04 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Sorry, but if you are watching you will realize they don't use hooks but big cages (pun intended). So maybe you're still caged? (doesn't sound as good)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Molly - lol : )

Mommantor - I'm tempted to watch that New Jersey show just to see what they are like.

Brenda - yes they need education, we should work to support that.

Citizen - oh I would love to get that on a bumper sticker.

Joe - oh brother...

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home