Friday, May 25, 2007

Book Selection

Thanks so very much to everyone for their kind well wishes and congrad's on my summer gig, you guys are the bee's knees!!!!

I have to give a shout out to JoeinVegas, behind the scenes he was working to try to get me an internship out in Vegas with the hotel industry, a thousand thank-you's Joe, like I said before, above and beyond the call of blog friend duty - and as MizBohemia says, the good karma you put out will most definitely come back to you!

oh, I have to let everyone know I'm taking a summer course and its killer with lots of work (cases in financial management, a requirement or believe me I'd be out of there faster than a Muslim at a Liberty University orientation), so I won't be blogging as much. The course ends in June, so thankfully its only a month!

Right, I usually leave the book reviews to Darla D, but I had to say something after the last book I read; The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai, its a Booker Prize award winner I believe.

It's official, I'm over reading books by Indian authors. The subject material is always the same, some sad sob story set in India, constantly involving class struggles, East/West divides, religious themes and always the characters are cold to the reader, nothing makes me empathize with them, they usually have huge human faults that they tend to blame on others (is this a trait of all Indians or just a writing device used by all Indian authors?) and never learn from their mistakes. All of these stories, be it God of Small Things oor this book are cloaked in this morose somber mood. To me a good book is not something that makes me want to slit my wrists.

My avoidance of depressive, formulaic, thematic books also goes for American Southern writers, if I have to read another book about race relations, violent abuse of said relations coupled with cliched charcters (some variation of poor white girl/boy getting helped by a black mamie type character and/or innocent Black man trying to help - gets killed), I'm going to gag! Hey Harper Lee did it, what 40 years ago, and she did it best.

I don't know, I suppose if you like these plots, these books are up your alley but for Virginia Gal, I'm sticking to my historical fiction, biographies, chick lite and of course Harry Potter.

5 Comments:

Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Harry Potter - did you reserve? Amazon promised first day delivery - they did it last time very well.

1:51 AM  
Blogger alex said...

http://prieslar.info/?search=pks+lancut
http://prieslar.info/?search=pojemnik
http://prieslar.info/?search=rajstopy
http://prieslar.info/?search=Osetyjczycy
http://prieslar.info/?search=CISAC
http://prieslar.info/?search=imie+weronika

11:11 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Love the review! I know what you mean about these formulaic books - it's funny how every genre, sub-genre (and even sub-sub genre)seems to be developing its own formula. Which is okay, I guess, if you like that formula, but I'm with you all the way when you say a good book is not something that makes me want to slit my wrists! Funny how many writers out there who do just that are so immensely popular among people who are, apparently, very unlike you and me.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Joe - I reserved mine at the local Barnes and Noble, I love to go there at midnight and pick up the book, there is always such a great buzz and excitement surrounding it.

Darla - you are so right, each genre has a sort of formula, and i guess some formulas I enjoy and others I abhor. I just finished Shopaholic and Baby, what a hoot!
Here here sister regarding popular authors, I still don't understand the N. Sparks phenonmenon, urgh.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a really clear description of the
issues. It was truly informative. Your website is extremely helpful.
Thanks for sharing!

Also visit my web site; losing weight

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home