Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Being Sick

This summer has brought home to me, more than ever, the crumbling sad pathetic state of America's health care system.

I'm (knock on wood) usually a very healthy person, but for some reason (well my mum say's its because I'm working three jobs), I've gotten pretty sick all this summer. Right now I'm battling a summer cold - which, if you've never had, sucks! Before this it was the earache and let's not forget my clumsiness resulting in a broken left foot...joy. I refuse to go to the doctor for a cold, I'm just praying that this doesn't a) spiral into something more b) is with me on Friday when I fly, because than I could get another earache...urgh.

What is wrong with our country, moreover our citizens that we can't shell out a few extra tax dollars so that all people can be covered medically? Are we that selfish that we can't do this? Where is our so-called Christian compassion? And spare me the crap about how universal health care doesn't work in Canada or England, they may have their problems but at least if you break a foot (like me) you don't have to wait a week till you can get to urgent care because you know you can't go to the ER for fear of a huge bill. Utter nonsense!!

Let's not forget the DC area boy who earlier this year died because he had a tooth infection left untreated http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022702116.html
what a preventable tragedy!!

As I've said before...health care should be a universal right, people's lives, living and dying should not be a matter of balance sheets and stockholder interest. This is ridiculious!!

If you're as outraged as I am (and if you're not, what's wrong with you?!) do two things:
1. Go see Sicko - the new Michael Moore flick, like him or hate him, he has a really good point in the movie.

2. Sign up for action here - http://www.healthcare-now.org/

Here's hoping in my lifetime the United States of America will see universal health care.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I signed the petition at the Healthcare-now organization ages ago and I've written numerous times to our state reps and senators requesting they support the bill for universal Health care. I fear that it'll never happen though, if we don't stop lining the pockets of the insurance execs and the hospital administrators.

3:03 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I have to admit, I feel fairly pessimistic about this. We need universal health care coverage in a bad way, but the administration, big pharmacy, hospitals, insurance companies, etc - all fighting it. I have that Michael Moore film on my Netflix queue.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Well, I am proud to say that San Francisco is the only city in the nation that is actually testing a universal free healthcare for its citizens called "Healthy San Francisco"... it's in its beginning stages but it's a start and with new beginnings there is always hope amiga mia so chin up and hope you get better soon!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - you go girl! I agree, something must be done about the business end of health care, the insurance companies and for profit hospitals...there is something very wrong about a person's life being "for profit."

CS - yes, it is a sad state, I do think we might reach a crisis mode where the government will have to face it....watch the movie and let me know what you think. I'd love to hear your take on it.

MizB!!! - Welcome home!! Thanks for the good thoughts...man universal health care, just another reason to love SFO. I gotta move there!

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home