Tuesday, August 21, 2007

India...musings



These are not images of India's Independence Day celebrations, amazingly I couldn't find anything that really did the day justice, I guess you'll have to just go to India on August 15th and experience it yourself!


But I did want to include these photos because it really captures the spirit of the kite flying (festive bright colors, to match the childlike innocence of the the "sport"), standing in front of an Indian kite stall is like being at a candy store, so many fascinating visuals. The pictures also serve to show what the homes in India look like - flat rooftops or terraces, where I would be standing to watch the kite flying (and yes everything is that close together, particularly in New Delhi, which is after all a big city, space is money).

Additionally, I'm trying mediation as a means of combatting my bouts of sadness and feelings of being aimless/useless to the world, without purpose. A wise person refered me to this quote by Gandhiji and I like to think that, though he is dead, perhaps he is saying this to me...to help me in my life quest.

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandi

6 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

Beautiful quotes! More folks should live by that!
Thanks for the pics. I don't know why but I have just become aware that India is so mountainous. For some stupid reason I thought it was flatter.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Oh, I love that quote. Definitely inspiring, and something we should all keep in mind. I also love the photos.

I think that once class gets going you will have that to focus on, and maybe that, combined with the mediation, will give you some relief. I hope so, anyway. I'm worried about you! Let me know if I can do anything. Really! We are not far away.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

ditto to darla's comment.
also, i dig the mylar kites. for some reason, that tickles me.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

OK, alright, I'll go to India with you on your vision quest...but I'm not going to bathe in the Ganges river!

I'll be in the New Deli Holiday Inn.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

What a beautiful country, I like it when you post photos! I love the kites, the colors are amazing.

Do what it takes to smile Kiddo and part of that equation means doing things for yourself.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommantor - thank you, I like the quote as well. Yes, India is mountainous in parts, but I too often think of it as desert-y myself : )

Darla D - Thank you...yeah the mediation is helping with the anxiety, I guess its just life decisions sneaking up on me and I have to decide...urgh!

Molly - you would LOVE a trip to India and I bet you would learn to fly those kites (unlike me, hee hee).

Pax - don't blame you on that Ganges river thing...not all that clean. Ahh yes the New Delhi Holiday Inn, ironically run by an American (who has brought all his family over to work shifts).

Brenda - thank you for the kind words, sorry I don't post pic's as much as I should...glad you liked it. I bet all your little munchkins would pick up kite flying in no time!

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home