Tuesday, June 09, 2009

What happens to hotel soaps?



With all the traveling I am doing, I have had some time to ponder and one of those times, my wandering mind led me to question; what happens to the hotel soaps?

I am referring to the used soaps - not the one's left in their package but the ones we use. (oh lets be honest the ones that I leave in the package, I take with me to collect).

I searched all over the web (our new source of immediate information) and it seems that hotels just throw the soaps away. Now mind you I wouldn't want to use someone else's grimy soap, but isn't there anything else that could be done with these bars?? Someone suggested using them for heavy duty cleaners or recycling or going through some purifying process and than sending them to poor people.

Well either way, I'm going to continue searching, all suggestions welcome (but no guarantee that they will be given serious consideration).....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life must be quite interesting for you, since you like to travel. Next time take a small zip-lock bag and bring your soap back-recycle it. If you don't want to re-use flush it in your toilet, atleast it will smell good for few minutes and that it has put to use.
Happy travelling.

12:47 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Hmm, might be a good business, collecting soaps from hotels and then melting them down into bigger bars for donation to shelters. You might think of starting something up there, sounds interesting.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

Hmmm, anonymous must have been the guest who had my room before me the time the toilet wouldn't flush.

8:04 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I'll be honest I always take the soaps I dont use. I actually give them to the church to put in the shoe boxes we send abroad.
But the actual used soaps is a different story. I've had used soap bars and made a kinda liquid soap with them, I dont know how one would clean soap. Seems like an oxymoran!? Guess it could be done with Ultrviolet light?? Am I thinking too much here? Like always! huh

10:53 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Anon - ooh nice smelling toilet, good idea!

Joe - yes that is a good idea, I donated a bunch to a woman's shelter for Mother's day, might keep that up.

Merci - ha ha!

Mommantor - ultraviolet light, hilarious!!

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home