Friday, February 12, 2010

Vanguard Journalism

As most of you know I'm sadly and pathetically unemployed currently (though I have recently resumed my retail job, so I guess this makes me underemployed, since I'm not using my MBA at all in this capacity). But that is neither here nor there. The point of this rather rambling intro sentence was to segue into what I've been doing with myself with all the free time from being non working.

Most of the time I've been sitting on my fat and getting fatter, butt, watching television. I know, this is highly unproductive but its just a funk I've been in. Go figure. Yet, despite the reams of trashy television I've been watching, I did stumble upon something amazing yesterday on the National Geographic Channel. Its called Vanguard Journalism. Essentially it is a documentary series but based on news stories and issues that are going on all around us that don't particularly garner national and international headlines.

For example the documentary I caught was about Mynmar, (Burma). It was just showing everyday Burma, very fascinating since, lets be honest, until there is regime change in that country, I ain't going to be visiting anytime soon. Besides I really wanted to see what this country looks like, as it is so isolated from the rest of the world and yet has so much natural resources and a wealth of culture.

The beauty of this particular project, the Vanguard Journalism, is that they put all their documentaries on their website. Going onto this site is fascinating, there is so much to chose from and the documentaries vary from very long to short pieces! I watched a documentary on the growing cocaine trade in Europe, the rise of Hate Crimes in Russia and even the Burma documentary again.

In this age when there is so much junk out there on the Internet and on the regular television screen, this project is refreshing in its approach: non commercial, enterprising, innovative and most importantly enlightening us to the REAL world we live in!

Here is the link to Vanguard Journalism - see if yourself - http://current.com/vanguard-journalism/

5 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

Thanks for that link - I love documentaries and I'll definitely check it out.

You have to see my post today. :)

9:01 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

SOunds great I'll try it, but I spend so much time on the computer I doubt I need another sight to view, owell I'm retired!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting story you got here. It would be great to read something more concerning this matter. Thanks for giving that material.

8:06 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Working again - looking at all the MBAs flipping burgers perhaps that is the best place to make use of yours. (sorry)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - hilarious post - thank you for making me smile!

Mommantor - perhaps just once in a while go and check this site out : )

Anonymous - Welcome! And thank you for the comment.

Joe - ouch! You seem a bit bitter at MBA's, is there something you are not telling me?

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home