Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes about my sister - you guys are the best! My sister is doing good, just her neck is a little swollen from the surgery, but the doctor said that is too be expected. She will be back to work by the end of the week.

Yet that is not what this blog post is about, the meat and potatoes is actually regarding my current job (I work two jobs right now). My primary gig is at a retail store in Scottsdale, Arizona. If you are not familiar with it, Scottsdale is an affluent part of the Phoenix suburbs. The store is in a very high end mall in Scottsdale - this mall has Barneys, Chanel, Louie Vuitton and Neimen Marcus to name a few shops. I work in a gourmet food store which fits into the theme of this mall but is considerably less expensive than say Brighton's or Nordstroms.

At the store we offer free food samples as well as free mini cups of coffee. I can't even begin to tell you the number of people who come to the mall and expect their free samples (which are a courtesy not a mandate). I hate that sense of entitlement! They come in with their Nordstrom and Juicy Couture shopping bags and angle for free food. Why are you even at this mall if you can't afford to buy food?! I am amazed at the hutzpah of these people! I suppose this is what makes rich people rich, they buy one small thing from some fancy store and than troll the mall looking for free food. They will often come in for multiple samples (filling up huge cups of coffee) or argue for extra stuff.

For example, today I had a lady come in with a coupon dated April 15th for a free item, I chose to honor it, though it was clearly expired. She than wanted a fancy gift bag for her free stuff, I gave it to her. Than she wanted fancy ribbon for the free item (we do custom baskets at the store, which is were we use the ribbon), I gave her a left over piece from one of the baskets we made. She rejected it, because it was scuffed on one end and asked for new ribbon - mind you in this entire transaction she hasn't bought a single thing! What gall! I had had enough and gave her a flippant answer, I know, I know, this was not good customer service but I had had enough, she got the hint.

I swear one could make a sociological study of these people's behaviors, sometimes I feel like I'm at the zoo - the zoo filled with selfish, self-centered, greedy rich people.

********************************************************

Get a gift for any occasion that you won't see on the yard sale table 6 months later....check out this food delivery company! Food is something everyone needs and can use. Give them a gift THEY will love YOU for! (Also delivers to Canada).

3 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

A sense of entitlement is never pretty.

7:52 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

people are people whereever they are from! Sad to say that sometimes the poor are richer in manners though!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - that is too true!

Mommanator - amen sister!

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home