Monday, March 29, 2010

Reading Life

Well there is a week of my reading life I won't get back. I just finished Elizabeth Kostova's new book, "The Swan Thieves." oh my, what a dull book! I am rather disappointed. I really enjoyed her first novel, "The Historian" about a professor tracking down Dracula. It was fascinating, with twists and turns and well-written. Hence, I was anticipating her second book, but what a let down! Has that ever happened to you? To top it off, the silly second novel was close to 600 pages (my God, her editor should be shot, I found reams of pages that could have been cut, not to mention the saving of forests!). Once I had gotten about 50 pages into the book, I decided I couldn't not finish it, even though it was a snooze fest! I hate not being able to conquer a book, even if it sucks - I don't want it to defeat me. Though I think Oprah once said if a book doesn't catch your fancy by the first 100 pages, let it go.

What I particularly find hilarious in this disappointment of a book is that Elizabeth Kostova was lauded as the next wonderkin by the literary world, a Yale graduate, she had already won prizes for her first book before it was even finished - just goes to show you can't predict'em.

Well, the hubby and I are off to Las Vegas for a mini-vacation, see everyone back at the end of the week! (I have a good book in hand this time around!).

5 Comments:

Blogger my mind wanders said...

Vegas Baby Vegas! have fun! Oh, the memories of the Saraha buffet are coming back to me! Remember? AH!! I can feel my fingers swelling as I type this! He he!

6:40 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Your more patient than I am - I usually quit a book if I'm bored.

Have a great trip!

9:13 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

To Vegas and you didn't call me? Humpf

12:18 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

fun time in Vegas with the hubby!
I couldnt read that book if it bored you!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

H - all the memories came back, it was wild!!! Didn't get to a buffet this time, lol.

Secret Agent - trip was awesome!

Joe - I am so sorry!!! I forgot your number, but I thought of you every day!!!

Mommanator - don't waste your time with this book!

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home