Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Sister

Just have recovered from the shock of knowing that my sister had a cancer scare for the past month. My mum, dad and sister decided not to tell me about it, till the test results were in. Thank God everything came out benign but still, I'm coming off a very big shock.

My sister is my best friend. She is two years younger to me and I can't imagine my life without her. Actually, I feel like we have grown even closer since I got married, because we now appreciate each other more. We talk on the phone nearly twice a week (often about nothing at all!). We share books, mailing them back and forth cross-country.

I understand my family's reason for not telling me, there was nothing I could have done and it would have just panicked me. But this whole scare seriously reiterates to me why I want to get back to the East Coast. I could have been there during this time, at least for moral support.

At this moment all I want to do is rush home and hug my sister and just keep her safe, as best as I can!

Children of the same family, the same blood, with the same first associations and habits, have some means of enjoyment in their power, which no subsequent connections can supply... ~Jane Austen, Mansfield Park, 1814

In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips. ~Author Unknown

6 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

I am so glad that she will be ok! I am sure she knows how much you love her. Give her double hugs the next time you see her.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really happy your sister is well. I know all relationships are special, but nothing beats having a sister. I have a very happy married life, but my sister is my Strength. Please let your sister know how special she is for you in all ways possible. Your constant love and support will be greatly appreciated. This beautiful relationship cannot be ruined by distances, I know my sister lives very far but she is only a phone call or plane ride away.
Thanks for the Quoatation from my favorite author.

Austen

11:43 AM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

WHAT A RELIEF!!!!! Tell her I said so!

12:30 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Good to hear it was benign - I know what a relief that is.

(In some life cookies, sisters are the nuts. :) )

4:58 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I'm glad she is well. I wouldn't know what to do without my sister. We don't talk as often as you and your sister do, but it is still very important to know that she is there.

You're only a phone call away, and a quick plane ride when you are needed!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Brenda - thank you dear!

Austen - appreciate the kind words and glad to know you love Jane as well!

Mind Wanders - will do - tak!

Secret Agent - nuts, made me laugh!

Merci - praise the lord for modern technology, no? Just a phone call and plane ride away!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home