Sunday, July 18, 2010

Indian Reservation

This weekend all my cousins but me are getting together in Florida for a mini-reunion. I am completely bummed I am missing it, yet with my work schedule this last minute planned trip could not be fit in (of course I am also the only cousin on the West side of the country and air tickets are much more expensive last minute for me than for everyone else living on the East Coast so there was a detrimental cost factor as well).

But this all leads me to one of my favorite moments during my work day. When I work close at the store in the mall, I leave the job at about 9:30pmish. The road that I take to get home passes right by an Indian reservation (don't ask me which one, I have no idea, this whole Native American culture and reservations is new to me, we didn't really have that in Northern Virginia, so I'm learning about it as I live here in Arizona).

You can tell its a reservation, its sparsely populated, not built up as the rest of Phoenix is (and believe me this part of the road is prime reality, if it wasn't owned by the Native Americans it would be built up!). Anyway, there is this little outpost of homes in the distance I can see from the highway. It seems to be about five or six homes on one street.

I always look at those homes/that street and imagine that all my family lived there, all on one street, how nice that would be! We would get together in the evening for dinner and than everyone would hang out, the cousins chatting and laughing while the adults sat around and talked.

I know, I know this is an idyllic dream not reality but perhaps in my abject homesickness this is what I have come up with to help me cope? Either way, it is one of the best points of my work days.

5 Comments:

Blogger mommanator said...

That is pretty idyllic but would seem nice to me too. I love having family around, So I live in Fla and all the family are in NJ & MD ?

10:07 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Wow, sounds like a pretty bad workday.

11:18 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

That would be the opposite of an idyllic dream for me! Bu maybe the same situation with a select few of my family members and the rest friends.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Mommantor - you totally understand : )

Joe - don't even get me started.

Secret Agent - yeah I could do that too.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site virginiagal.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home