Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Personality type

Thanks to everyone for their well-wishes, I'm not much better but my mom being in Arizona taking care of me most definitely helped! I swear there is nothing like mommy care in the world, no?

Driving home from work tonight and I got to thinking about something - my personality type. My husband says its prudish, but I am just one of those types of people who doesn't find talking about sex and fart jokes all the time, or really any of the time, in polite company, is acceptable. I just don't find that stuff funny or interesting. That is really juvenile to me.

I find that my personality is such that I don't broker such conversations around me, maybe broker is not the right word, instead invite such conversation. People who would normally indulge in those discussions don't around me. Instead I like talking about current events, sometimes Hollywood gossip, books I've read, movies I've seen, peoples lives. I don't really want to know about someone's sex life, be it wild or boring and maybe I let that disapproval show??

I'd like to think that is because I'm sophisticated, but the husband says this is not a good thing. Also, I'd like to think moving in more educated circles would eliminate this gap, no?

What does everyone think?

10 Comments:

Blogger DeniseinVA said...

Well, I enjoy a good joke and I don't mind the occasional cheeky joke but as with anything else if it was too much over the top I would get easily bored. I dislike lude and lascivious humor. I certainly don't want people to tell me about their sex lives or discuss anyone else's. If that's being a prude then so be it.
An English Girl Rambles

10:33 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

gues I'm a prude too, HOWEVER have a seven yr old around and thats all they talk about. FART FART FART! they even have a farting song! Yikes
Now sex to me is private and what goes on behind closed dorrs should stay there!

12:08 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

I definitely talk about sex with my closest friends. Not jokes, so much, as frank sharing. I treasure that freedom to be open. I'm far from prudish, but I definitely don't want to hear much about sex in general conversation from people I don't know well. My kids know I have a no-fart jokes rule and bathroom humor in general I don't care for. But for me, celebrity gossip puts me right to sleep.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous naema said...

I agree with you on not talking about such things. I think it was the way we were raised. our parents didn't dare to talk about these things (even now) so we just grew accustomed to not talking about them. I don't even think that we need to talk about these things in our social circles because we have so much other stuff to talk about. glad to hear your doing better ;)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I agree!! What happens in the bedroom and bathroom should stay in those places and mature folks understand this.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I really don't like bathroom and fart jokes. I'm not too fond of most slapstick humor, either, though I can watch some of the old Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton stuff now and then. Also not crazy about average folks who do impressions of people from different ethnic groups (unless it's their own group) because it's just too easy for them to deteriorate into stereotype. I've seen it too often. Guess I'M a prude, though I CAN appreciate a good professional comic who takes potshots at everyone.

11:53 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Unfortunately it sounds like your educated circles would exclude your husband (if he is the one leading those discussions).

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opnion once in a while an off-color joke is okay. I am sure your hubby will respect your views and not bring them up. I don't think it has anything to do with education, but Men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

Seems very "English" a stiff upper-lip,hey!

Austen

9:40 AM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

Oh silly girl! I agree somewhat, but I also think that sometimes it's good to just let loose - as long as everyone in the room is doing so as well. :-)

On a different note, I just watched one of your favorite movies! The Young Victoria - and I really liked it! I can definitely see why you did!! Take care of yourself!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Denise - Welcome! I agree, I don't want to hear about someone's sex life.

Secret Agent - yes if it was a frank discussion it would be ok, but this is just high school behavior and I'd like to think I left that back when I graduated.

Naema - definitely you are right, it was how we were raised, to be good and proper Muslims.

Brenda - thank you, I like to be considered mature : )

Merci - See, this is why we get along so well, we are Jane Austen fans, not Andrew Dice Clay (smile).

Joe - hmm...I think he can do the educated thing, as long as we move in those circles.

Austen - ha ha, this is definitely a mars vs. venus thing for sure!

H - lol H, I suppose to let loose but I just don't find that stuff funny, you know me : )

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home