Thursday, July 01, 2010

Yoodle

Still sick - not much to write about, my life is currently so dull, there is nothing to write about, though my mum is coming out to visit for the next few days, and that is good, I could do with some mommy TLC.

In the spirit of summer and the fourth of July, I'm going to recommend some beach book reads!

1. The Other Wes Moore - by Wes Moore. Non fiction, roughly 198 pages. Such an easy read and fascinating, about two guys named Wes Moore, both born in Baltimore, around the same time, African-American, and how their paths diverged, one went on to be a Rhodes Scholar and the other is in jail for life. A great insight into sociology of our society, raising children and the impact of families.
2. Her Royal Spyness - by Rhys Bowen. Fiction, roughly 300 mass market paperback pages. For those like me who love all things England and royalty, this first in a mystery series is great! It is set in the 1930's, with all the scandal of the English Royal family (remember Edward and Wallace Simpson). It harkins to a time in English history I love, set in London with this great girl character! Super fun read, you'll finish it in a day!
3. His Border Bride - by Blythe Gifford. Romance fiction, roughly 300 mass market paperback pages. I love this author, you can pick up this book or any other of her romances and you'll have a good time. As far as romance novels go, Gifford has a real knack of making a good story in a short time, with plausible characters and good characterization/dialogue. If you want a happily ever after, this is the book to go with!
4. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Burrows, fiction, 300 plus pages. If you haven't already read this book, do so! There is a reason this book was on the best seller list for weeks on end, its just a moving tale about life in England immediately after the war (WWII) in a part of the British Kingdom one doesn't think about (only part of England that was occupied by Germany). You will zip through this book, I promise!
5. Kitchen Confidential - by Anthony Bordain. Non fiction roughly 312 pages. You have seen him on tv eating all kinds of strange and fascinating things from around the world, now read about his history, how he became a chief and his family history (french!). The book also goes into the world of cooking and kitchen hierarchy, it is very interesting and a great start off point to learn about the world of top chiefs and restaurant life!

To get these books and more, I recommend good ol'e Amazon!

10 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

I saw an interview with the author version of Wes Moore. Interesting stuff.

10:51 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Blythe Gifford said...

Wow! Thanks for the nice words about my books. So glad you've enjoyed them. (More to come!)

7:49 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

Hope you are feeling better,

11:33 AM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I went back and looked at the missed posts, from the past couple of weeks.
One thing I am now living in Florida and love the Gulf. I think the government should have some intervention in this mess if it is only to kick BP in the proverbial butt and get them into action! I dont want government in everything, but it doesnt look like BP is doing anything! what is fining them gonna do? get that damn thing stopped spewing of the oil is all I want right now! AND I thought we didnt have any oil! so our oil prices are so high because?

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have a good visit with your mom. So sorry to hear you're still not feeling well. Hope you get better soon!!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Maybe Momma can help you feel better. I hope you do feel better soon kiddo!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - very interesting book, I think you would really like it!

Ms. Gifford - Best news I've heard in a long time, more of your books to come - yay!

Mommantor - it is sad that BP doesn't seem to be really doing anything, just a tragedy all around.
I am glad to see you are back in sunny FL!

Kate - thank you, mum definitely helped!

2:05 AM  
Blogger DeniseinVA said...

Do hope you feel better soon.
An English Girl Rambles

10:34 AM  
Blogger Merci said...

I've been reading the Stieg Larsson books. Can't put them down. I'll check out some of your suggestions when I finish the pile on my nightstand.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home