Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering 9/11

"I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom. Yours very sincerely and respectfully," Abraham Lincoln.

Started the day early and from the beginning, its been all 9/11 remembrance. It makes me sad. This is largely why I try to avoid 9/11 memorial specials etc every year. But this anniversary it was unavoidable. The sad part is, I know what is going to happen and yet every time I get choked up. You see the sad stories of those who didn't survive the Towers, the poor passengers on Flight 93 and that awfulness of the Pentagon and you just want to cry. Was listening to NPR and they were broadcasting the live reading of the names at the WTC, couldn't get out of the car - one begins to analyze, like a Monday morning quarterback, the events of that day. What could have been done differently?....

After a day full of this tragedy, all I did this evening is hug baby and thank God for her.

6 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

I deliberately avoiding watching the footage from that day - it was grueling enough seeing it live a decade ago.

You might find my post from yesterday (not today's) interesting.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I did not set out to watch the coverage, though I certainly spent time thinking about the lost lives, the heroes, and the changes the attacks caused to our way of life. I saw some of the coverage incidentally, and I was shocked by my reaction. I found myself instantly disconsolate, crying and sobbing. I had no idea that I had that much residual emotion left from that time. I am pleased that the coverage I saw focused a lot on what is happening now in the lives of the people most affected by that day. I was not ready to tolerate watching the images of the towers going down over and over again, as we did for weeks (maybe months) after 9/11/01.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - your post was amazing, thank you!

Merci - so true, I too felt so depressed and sad again after watching, like crying.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous muebles almeria said...

Thank you for the article, very worthwhile material.

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Velas de miel, rituales said...

This is the best post on this topic i have ever read.I am really very impressed with the blogging

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Beneficios de la celuloterapia para hombres said...

Thanks for making this post. I had been pondering what you’ll do through my best 3-D equipment

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home