Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Slice of Life

Sorry I have been AWOL of late – now that I work, I’ve writing my blog posts at my desk and lately I’ve been just swamped.

This past weekend the family went to my in-laws. They were having a party for baby’s christening. My mother-in-law had me wearing this very heavy outfit that my mother had gotten for me from India. It’s beautiful but full of bead work and the “skirt” part is very full. I liken it to the ball gowns of Catherine the Great’s era. The outfit is gorgeous and I love it. But carrying around a squirming baby and moving rapidly from table to table is near impossible. On top of that, the “skirt” (it’s not really a skirt but looks that way, the bottom part of the dress, hard to describe), sweeps the floor, it goes past my feet, even in heals. With a baby in hand, I can’t hold it up and that bugs me because I know the bottom is just getting filthy, as it touches the dirty floor.

As I was maneuvering on Saturday, I came to a realization. No wonder these heavy outfits are generally for brides only – because it is only on the day of her wedding that an Indian bride doesn’t have to do anything. Otherwise, we ladies are always expected to be busy, working.

Here are some pic’s of these type of outfits – very beautiful and makes one feel like a grand lady, a la Catherine the Great!






4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous outfit. You should have posted your photos.

Austen

9:14 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I bet you were gorgeous

11:56 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Austen - I was looking for a shot with me, but couldn't find anything that did the outfit justice.

Joe - aww, so sweet! You don't even know the awful day I had Joe, your comment has given me a much needed smile - thank you!

11:03 PM  
Anonymous www.muebles-en-getafe.com said...

Quite useful material, thanks so much for the post.

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home