Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Don't starve for nothing!

Dealing with a ton of things at school right now, financial aid still a bit of a mess, though slowly cleaning that up. My study abroad for next semester has some issues and to top that off, for some reason my professors this term are really working us (sheesh). It is because of these factors, my online presence has been limited to research work and checking email.

Ramadan Mubarak - the month of fasting has begun!

The guy who gave last week's Friday sermon (the first holy day sermon of the holy month) had a good phrase that I'm applying for this Ramadan, "don't starve for nothing." The point being that one can deny oneself food and water but if we don't change our behaviors, such as gossiping or quick to lose patience, all of the immaterial sacrifices of Ramadan mean nothing (hence you starved for nothing). A key point of the fast is to cleanse your soul, to purify, to reconnect to God and the tenets He has laid out for us humans to live by. The fasting is simply a means of putting structure/action/ almost something quantative to these more etheral objectives.

For me this means not losing my temper at stupid people, being unfriendly to mean people (instead working to kill with kindness), trying to have a modicum of patience (anyone who knows me, knows I'm the queen of impatience). With 14 hours of sunlight in the day, I strive not "starve for nothing."

8 Comments:

Blogger Molly Malone said...

Amen, sister!

Now, when Lent starts, please send your preacher to our churches to remind us that we shouldn't make our sacrifices for nothing, either!

9:59 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

what a great thing to renew yourself!
I am surprised you have a short fuse, you can work on that with your prayer and listening! It also comes with some more age Good luck

10:00 AM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

That is a nice concept. But after the month is over, do you continue with your new attitude?

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I am always so impressed with your strength of will during this time of year, VA Gal. I would wash out the first day, I'm sure (and being hungry makes me unbelievably grumpy, which kind of defeats the purpose anyway). If you can do this, VA Gal, you have the strength of will to do anything. It's very inspiring!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

Well good luck with that. I admire your strength. I'd never last a day.

So where overseas will you be heading?

6:31 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Sounds like a good idea to me. Send some of that inspiration over this way, my patience wears thinner every day.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Molly - thank you dear : )

Mommantor - yes I'm a short fuse person, I don't yell but keep it all in, which is probably not good. But like you say...I'm mellowing out with age.

Joe - ha ha - naturally you're to keep this up throughout the year, how well we do that is another question...

Darla - wow, I didn't think of it that way, I guess I should use this month to segue to other difficult tasks in life. Thanks!

Pax - hee hee, I'm sure you'd do fine : ) I'm planning my study abroad for Denmark!!! (I wanted England, but no could do from my home university).

Brenda - oh I'm sorry to hear about the patience wearing thin, you are awesome with all your grandkids, gives me hope!

1:11 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Ritual without reflection and change is pretty useless, no matter what the religion. I agree with that sermon.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home