Sunday, February 21, 2010

Two Things and a half!

  1. Is it considered rude to be talking over someone? Let me put this into perspective. I was sitting in the middle seat on a Southwest flight and these two people, who clearly knew each other and had sat down before me, one in the window and one in the aisle, started talking over me (stuck in the middle) during the flight. I was evidently trying to sleep (had even brought my own blanket). I thought this was highly rude. It wasn't like I wanted to sit there, the flight was full! I even asked the lady if she would like to move and she said no. When they began it up again as we descended, I started to pointedly look at each one during the conversation, so they could understand that not only was it bothering me but I was going to listen in. Was their behavior rude??
  2. Got into a conversation with someone at the store the other day. I've come to discover that people here in Arizona very red, but only when it comes to their money. Socially this state is relatively liberal. I find that weird, as Virginia is very socially conservative. But this does explain why someone like John McCain could be Senator and also pro-choice. Native Arizonian's are very anti-government, seem to hate illegal aliens (blaming them for all the state's woes) and think President Obama is to blame for all of America's problems including the Iraq and Afghan wars. They begrudge the stimulus plan but don't have any qualms in taking money from said plan. They hate taxes but say they are willing to help others in need, but only if they (the natives) judge these people to be in need (so poor people would have to be paraded in front on them). Its all just like a foreign planet to me, ugh!
  3. Finally - super congratulations to Evan Lyscek on the Men's Figure Skating gold medal - you deserved it! Men's figure skating isn't only just about jumping, otherwise it would be a jumping contest and not figure skating!

6 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

It wouldn't be rude to exchange a few words with someone in between, but one of them definitely should have accepted your offer to swap seats.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Merci said...

I second secret agent woman. A short conversation is one thing. If they wanted to continue talking, they should have taken your offer to change seats.

I'm so happy Evan won, too! He absolutely deserved it! If Plushenko's skating had been as beautiful and as technically perfect as Evan's, he would have won. His complaints are just sour grapes.

I really enjoyed watching the younger skaters, even though they're not quite up to medal level yet. They had the most heart and beauty in their performances.

9:13 PM  
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Yes, rude, should have changed seats, but you were OK in staring at them. (too bad you couldn't sleep)

1:37 PM  
Blogger my mind wanders said...

Oh man. For an entire plane ride? Ugh. Yes, rude! And I agree with Joe that you had every right to stare. :-)

I also agree with Evan! Yeah! It was well deserved, and honesty, I was extremely impressed with his composure and graciousness when dealing with the sore loser.

Thanks for your latest comment as well.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - thank you for reaffirming my decision.

Merci - you said it sister, Plusenko was sour grapes, he, like the other Russian skaters are having a hard time realizing they don't just get the medals, they have to earn them.

Joe - thank you for confirming my suspicions of rudeness.

H - I knew you had to be watching the figure skating!! Glad to see you blogging more!

1:55 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

1) rude to talk over you? maybe. hard to say, as the conversation began as the plane was descending, which makes it difficult to switch seats. rude to make out over you? hells yes. and i'm upset that you left that part out of your story. that sexy detail would've made this that more apalling. no one has the right to get "handsy" over the middle seater.
2) this doesn't surprise me re: Arizona. most states, countries and geopolitical entities are not monoliths and though they may trend political identity one way or another, they are not charicatures. but, like everyone, they're happy to blame the "other guy" for problems regardless of who's behind them. we all take comfort in the identity of brand ideology.
3) Yeah, yeah, yeah. Lysacek got the gold. But did you hear about Plushenko? He got the PLATINUM! what an absolutely gracious winner!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home