Friday, February 26, 2010

Virtue and Moir won!!!!


My favorite ice dancing team won the Olympics - Virtue and Moir!!! Oh what a glorious night! They completely deserved to win, they skated with such elegance and grace, just the epitome of what ice dancing is suppose to be, beautiful!

I was quite happy with the results, though I thought Americans, Belbin and Agosto should have placed third. I am sorry that they didn't medal and that they made a terrible decision in changing coaches two years ago. Prior to 2008, Belbin and Agosto were coached by the same people as Virtue and Moir, but than B&A left for a Russian coach, who coaches the Russians Domina and Shabilin. It was a calculated risk and sadly one that B&A lost. That heavy style of ice dancing that was popular in the 1980's and 1990's, the bread and butter of Russian ice dancing, is no longer in vogue. Belbin and Agosto would have done better to stay with their old coaches and what is now the new style of ice dancing. oh well.

What these 2010 Vancouver Olympics figure skating events have shown is that finally (THANK GOD), the Russians are no longer the heir apparents to every figure skating gold medal. I believe this also accounts for the sour grapes from the Russian skaters - for over 50 years they were coming into the Olympics without any doubt that they would leave with a gold medal around their neck, now however the International Skating Union seems to have given notice that to receive the gold, you will have to earn it. I can't wait to see some guard changes in the wonderful world of figure skating!

4 Comments:

Blogger secret agent woman said...

As much as I like figure skating, I've not seemed to find the motivation to watch any of the Olympics this year.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Molly Malone said...

the ice dancing pairs were about the only figure skaters i watched this year. only a little of the individuals, and none of the pairs. (do they still have pairs?) anyway, i didn't want B&A on the stand at all, so i'm glad they didn't make it. frankly, i didn't think their skating was all that inspiring. White&Davis looked like they were having fun and chose interesting music. Domnina & Shabalin at least took risks. I agree w/ you re: Virtue and Moir. they were grace. and frankly they sold me with their Flamenco piece. that was frakkin' flawless and amazing. B&A's choices were just a bit disconchordant for me. the Moldovian folk dance? wtf? it didn't translate well to ice. and Ave friggin' Maria for their final skate. are you bloody joking? honestly? HONESTLY?? not that Mahler #5 was daring, per se, but it wasn't laaaaame.
anyway, whatevs. there are my two cents.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you? your website is cool
look at at that funny emo video clip:
http://tinyurl.com/8lxnsg

6:42 AM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Secret Agent - thats ok, with the Internet, you can watch the Olympics later on, when you feel like it : )

Molly - I agree with you, B&A's downfall was that Moldovian folk dance, it just didn't flow and was awkward and I think really pushed them firmly into 4th. I LOVED their Ave Maria program but I'm definitely in the minority, most of my figure skating friends online agree with you, hee hee.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home