Monday, March 15, 2010

The Pope, radio and bumper stickers

Does anyone listen to music on the radio anymore? I use to, but the pop channels really only play the same 10 songs by the same artists (the big names who can afford to pay radio executives to play their music). I now favor NPR, sometimes the Christian channel (hey occasionally those sermons are universal) or my own CD's. Does radio even play any role, in these days, in making hit music makers? I think this industry is going to have to innovate if it wants to remain relevant.

I am sensing that the current Pope is not going to be remembered as fondly as the previous Pope (John Paul II). Every time I turn around Pope Benedict is involved in some scandal. First it was that he was in the Nazi Youth, than his derogatory comments on Islam's most prominent figure, the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and now the German Priests abuse and sex scandal (including the Pope's own brother).

I clipped this from the UK newspaper, The Independent on further gaffes by the current Pope:
"Many such blunders followed. He went to Africa and said that condoms were not the solution to the AIDS epidemic but could make matters worse. He stood in Istanbul's Blue Mosque, praying shoulder to shoulder with its Imam, then denied the possibility of inter-religious dialogue. He refused to sign a UN declaration on the rights of homosexuals and the disabled. He went to Brazil and denied that the indigenous people had had the alien religion forced on them, but said rather that they had unconsciously desired it. He welcomed the schismatics of the Society of St Pius X back into the Church – only discovering afterwards that one of the society's illegally created bishops, Richard Williamson, denied the truth of the Holocaust. "
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/faith/the-dark-side-of-the-pope-1921323.html


Finally, I had to comment on another stupid bummer sticker I saw here in Arizona (home of many proud dumb Republicans), it had a picture of President Obama and the saying was "Hitler gave great speeches too." Ummm what?! So you are equating the current President of the United States of America who is trying to ensure that all Americans have health care so they might not die because they can't afford to see a doctor, with a Fascist, Egomaniac Dictator who killed 6 million Jews? I think you should spend less time sticking bumper stickers on your truck and more time on learning to read.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I read the same article. It is wonderfully written although fact, history and (dare I say it?) truth have been readily sacrificed to style. I have a full set of fingers and toes but, sadly, not enough to count the errors in the piece you cite. Just because it comes from a semi-literate country where we still know how to write passable English should not allow us to forget fact, reason, truth and substance, however much is may suit our individual agenda. Should we not verify before we print and publish? Should we not read before we write. Or does anything go, these days?

10:35 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

a) I listen to the radio fairly regularly.
b) I wasn't wild about the last Pope - he did a lot to set back women's rights, just as the Catholic church was becoming a little more liberal.
c) Ack, I hate that bumper sticker and all the ridiculous Obama-Hitler remarks of the Fox minions.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I listen to a classic rock station mostly but sometimes a country station too.

There's just something strange to me about a religion who heaps so much hoopla upon one man.

I wish they'd just leave Obama alone to do his job!

5:44 PM  
Blogger mommanator said...

I listen to the radio all the time. Christian, country, NPR etc. depends what I'm in the mood for.

I have always thought the Pope was thought too much of, he is a mere man!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Plu -I am shocked, one would expect a newspaper of that caliber to have fact checkers. Could you tell me which statements are wrong? Thanks!

Secret Agent - hmm...I didn't know about the previous Pope's anti-women stances, but I liked him because he was much more open-minded about embracing other religions, you know, discussions and stuff. This current Pope is not so open, which isn't good for humanity.

Brenda - amen sister, leave him alone and let him do his job!

Mommanator - you and I are similar in our radio habits!

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home